Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Speedliner, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Disclaimer: I can't quantify this and I don't intend to start a heated discussion over best, or over-rates lenses. Also acknowledge that most has to do with the photographer than equipment, but...

I've noticed that some lenses seem to have a quality beyond color and sharpness. Something about them makes a subject stand out in a way that isn't just sharp, isn't just background blur. Some have referred to it as a 3D quality. I don't know what it is or how to describe it, but I've seen it in images here.

Is it real, is it just a particular pic in special light that any lens would have created, or do some lenses really produce it more commonly than others.

What do you think?
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I think both. I think there are lenses that do have "special" roll-off of focus in such a way that it does create more "pop" than mere DOF/blur calculators would indicate. I will also say that in many cases, it has as much do do with lighting and subject placement as it does the lens. Take a magic lens out on a grey winter afternoon and it's not going to be very magic.

Probably the most clear example of a "special" lens I have seen is the Contax 100mm f2 Planar (not Makro).
  3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Something I wrote awhile ago in another thread:

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Some lenses really have an outstanding unique look when combined with the right settings and the right light. When I first started photography several pros that were my bosses made the point that each lens is unique and has its own characteristics - and that I had would not know a lens until I knew how and when to exploit it's strengths and weaknesses.

One of the issues I addressed in a thread about lenses becoming so good they are becoming clinical/clean/perfect in nature. That character or uniqueness just isn't there - the lens characteristics have to be learned and used under allsorts of circumstances to find those outstanding settings and situations. Some of the reasons why I still use 1990s lenses on my D800. For the m4/3s lenses, I think I still have to shoot much more before I have learned to exploit the lenses strengths and weakness to my benefit - if they truly exist in these new lenses.