Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Speedliner, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Disclaimer: I can't quantify this and I don't intend to start a heated discussion over best, or over-rates lenses. Also acknowledge that most has to do with the photographer than equipment, but...

I've noticed that some lenses seem to have a quality beyond color and sharpness. Something about them makes a subject stand out in a way that isn't just sharp, isn't just background blur. Some have referred to it as a 3D quality. I don't know what it is or how to describe it, but I've seen it in images here.

Is it real, is it just a particular pic in special light that any lens would have created, or do some lenses really produce it more commonly than others.

What do you think?
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think both. I think there are lenses that do have "special" roll-off of focus in such a way that it does create more "pop" than mere DOF/blur calculators would indicate. I will also say that in many cases, it has as much do do with lighting and subject placement as it does the lens. Take a magic lens out on a grey winter afternoon and it's not going to be very magic.

Probably the most clear example of a "special" lens I have seen is the Contax 100mm f2 Planar (not Makro).
  3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Something I wrote awhile ago in another thread:

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Some lenses really have an outstanding unique look when combined with the right settings and the right light. When I first started photography several pros that were my bosses made the point that each lens is unique and has its own characteristics - and that I had would not know a lens until I knew how and when to exploit it's strengths and weaknesses.

One of the issues I addressed in a thread about lenses becoming so good they are becoming clinical/clean/perfect in nature. That character or uniqueness just isn't there - the lens characteristics have to be learned and used under allsorts of circumstances to find those outstanding settings and situations. Some of the reasons why I still use 1990s lenses on my D800. For the m4/3s lenses, I think I still have to shoot much more before I have learned to exploit the lenses strengths and weakness to my benefit - if they truly exist in these new lenses.