1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Removing top plate from E-P1/P2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by labcoatguy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I just got a black E-P2 in the mail, and combined with the VF2 it is pretty much the perfect camera. However, I really like the brushed finish of my bare-metal E-P1, and am wondering what's involved in removing the top plate of the body, which is just a metal shell around a plastic frame. The top and side panels are easy enough to remove, but the top part feels like it's held on by more than just the few screws I have access to, and I don't want to press it too hard in case I mess up something fragile and expensive. It looks like the hotshoes of the cameras have the same footprint, so that won't be an issue. Any help is appreciated.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Contact Vivek at getdpi. He takes every camera apart. He's got a GH2 apart at the moment. I'm sure he would know how to do it.
    Don

3. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've signed up there and PMed him.

4. hillwalker

hillwalker New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Did you ever find out how to get the top plate off?

I've got to about the same place it seems you did. I've removed everything that looks like it should be holding the top on, and something is still gripping it. I can slightly flex each end, but the middle is tight, even with the two screws in front out.

Did you ever figure out how to get the plate off?

Thanks.

5. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Nope, I haven't gotten anywhere with this. Short of getting my hands on a factory service manual or a dead camera to tinker with, there's nothing else I can do that won't risk damage to the electronics on top.

6. hillwalker

hillwalker New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Ahah!

Figured it out!

In the flash socket, part of the black bottom is a thin plate that slides back, revealing 4 screws. Insert a thin blade vertically at the front of the socket (lens side). Gently pry forward (handle forward and down, blade tip back and up) and you will lift the edge of the clip. The plate slides back and out.

After undoing the four screws the top just lifts off.

7. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Whoa, thanks! Wish I'd discovered this before I sold my E-P1 so I could've swapped the body parts then. Time to ask for a trade of body parts in the FS forum.