1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Removing the camera from photography - is this the future?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Jul 19, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    SonyAlphaRumors posted a rumor (which they're calling "almost certainly correct" and from their "top sources") of a lens with a built-in sensor. Apparently it would communicate with a smartphone or other similar device for control(?), but it can also be used on it's own.

Apparently it's going to share the 1-inch 20MP sensor and lens from the RX100M II advanced compact.

I have no idea how this thing will work, but it certainly looks like an amazing twist to me.

[​IMG]

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - sort of combines cell phones with a point and shoot.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well that is a pretty innovative idea - wouldn't surprise me to see sony try something completely out there and different. It really isn't too crazy an idea, not far from something like a gopro but with a higher end lens/sensor. Make it an ultra wide, give it a shutter button and possibly a play/stop button for video and led to let you know it is recording for use on its own...then give it wifi (which is small enough to fit in there if they can put it in an SD card) to pair with your phone which can then be used for a viewing screen. If it has an app for every android (and possibly ios) I have a feeling that could garner a very big market. Sadly there is at least a 50/50 chance Sony would try to lock it down and make it proprietary in some form or another and kill it out of the gate.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    That looks like a weird choice. Lens with built in sensor, battery, and memory and NFC/Wi-Fi capability. Each lens is going to be way overpriced because of the redundancy of technologies. Memory, and batteries are flakey and consumers will be constantly sending these back after a year plus in use. Lets face it, advanced users will not be happy to keep buying into redundant systems. Unless they're going to try and court beginner consumers, and attach cheap optics, but will that consumer group move beyond their all in one smart phone solution? And would someone moving past the smart phone want to use a cheap throw away optic (likely because it will lower the price point to something affordable to that market) which may offer little improvement from what future smart phones are capable of?

So weird. Why not just stuff mobile a platform like Android, or Windows in the camera body and make it powerful enough to survive a couple years worth of firmware updates.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Sounds like a way to turn your phone into a high end compact. Rather than embedding a large sensor in the phone like Nokia, you just stick this on when you want to take high quality photos.

Could be very nice if it works with any phone or tablet. Though I suspect it will be expensive and most people will see it as a novelty.

There could also be some interesting uses in video or creative photography. You could put these on ceilings, for example, and control from another room. The sensor might be a bit too small for commercial photography, but videographers might find a use.