Removing/hiding the logos on EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hingo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes I know its beautiful, but I'm looking for more simpler look. I'm thinking of removing the ''olympus'' and the ''omd'' at the front of the camera, leaving the top plate untouched.

As I've seen so far, it's popular just taping them up, but often it rarely matches the camera finished look.

If I will not hide or remove it, I think it would be nice just paint it black as I have black em5, to make it less obvious.

It would be nice to see what solutions you've come up with.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Personally I believe this is done by people embassed using Olympus...I'm NOT!

Shame on you!

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You prefer providing them with free advertising?

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    You can use a toothpick and remove the white from the logos. Someone on the forum did it, looked nice i think

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I prefer the 'Olympus' logo to be prominent so that everyone can see it's not a serious camera and I'm just a snap-happy tourist, rather than a real photographer! :biggrin:

Surely taping your camera gives the message that you are so serious you tape your camera or that it's something special that you need to disguise! :biggrin:

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I hollowed out an old 5D, and hid the camera inside.

• Like Like x 20
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
  8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    would you prefer that I cut off my GF3's logo and send it over to tap on the em5:rofl:

9. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Actually if you own the camera you paid around 1000 dollars to advertise the camera's logo... :p

Personally I don't give a hoot about hiding the logo, but thats my personal opinion, course I'm also the guy who doesn't care what color my lens is, hell as long as it works as described I'm happy... My camera is a tool not a fashion statement,

That being said check out what you can do with your olympus if you happen to think of it as a fashion accessory MCG-3PR Dress Up Hand Grip for E-PL5 & E-P3 (Brown Stripe) - Caps & Filters - Camera Accessories - Accessories | Olympus

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_RleZ9Bw]Guide on how to paint your DSLR pink - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 4
  11. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Awesome, they got that pink one working. Now, I want to paint my OM-d pink!

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/show-us-your-e-m5-32416/

There are some ideas and photos in that thread. I used a black Sharpie to black out the Olympus logo (see thread above for photo). Sharpie also comes in paint rather than ink, one member used Rustoleum black with a fine bristle brush, others used sharp toothpicks to scrape out the white paint.

I don't care about the 'stealth' mode, or free advertising for Olympus, etc., - I just like the looks of the blacked out camera. Other's mileage may vary.

I might note in passing that Fuji charges a fairly large surcharge for their blacked out X-100 over the standard model, and Olympus charges extra for the "special edition" blacked out 12mm lens. Sharpies are pretty inexpensive in comparison :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  14. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I never really thought about having the brand name visible or not... It made me look, and sure enough, my X-Pro1 has nothing on the front of it, and it's quite stealthy looking (which I do like). Especially in lower light. It does have the Fujifilm X-Pro1 written on the top however.

Perhaps the E-M5 would look better all black without the logo, though I'm not really about to modify mine.

Don't forget to use plain generic lens caps and a black neck strap so when you're wearing a black shirt it's extra stealthy, or at least as generic looking as possible.

I believe a cotton tip with nail polish remover will do the trick, though it may alter the finish of plastic if you are not careful.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I used a black sharpie on my black OMD.

18. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Yes, actually. The more cameras they sell, the better supported the system will be and the more development that will occur as a result.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Why not? My truck says "Ford" ; my sedan says, "Chevrolet"; my laptop computer has HP plastered on the top cover. And I like my Olympus cameras at least as much as any of those.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do what the pros do - gaff tape over it! The pros do it not because they don't like logos but don't want to have to pay whomever because the logo is in the photo/video they shot. They also do the digital smear too.

Personally I like having logos on products and will show them proudly IF the product works well for me.

Here are couple of logos from companies that I am very happy to show off because I own and use and love some of their products.

Olympus-logo.

Nikon-logo-370x230.

apple-logo-black.

adobe-logo.

yamaha-logo-wallpaper.