Removing harsh highlight from people's face?

Truebeam

Mu-43 Regular
Might be ease to do in photoshop but I only have lightroom (5.5) and Nik. I know LR has the brush function but I haven't figured out a good setting to do it. Thanks in advance!

Lily

perpetualjon

Mu-43 Veteran
Show us an example. Unfortunately, for the most part, an overexposed area of an image is not easy to recover but if you shot in RAW you may be ok. Still, I'd like to see what you're starting with...

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I will usually try to pull down global highlights first. Then a bit of negative exposure brush but not more than .66EV or so. Too much spot correction always ruins the picture for me.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Use a fill flash or reflector to get more uniform lighting on their face in the first place. This will always be preferable that trying to fix it in post process.

The alternative is to underexpose (the ETTL version of ETTR) to prevent the blown out highlight, and then use curves to bring the mid-tones back up to normal exposure.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Portrait module in Perfect Photo Suite. It will also take care of blemish, lines under the eyes.....etc.

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In Lightroom I play with the highlights and shadows sliders to "level" tone then adjust contrast and exposure to "normalize". Only so much one can do in such cases but it is quite noticeable, usually. Might also want to clean up after words with some extra noise reduction.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
If the facial highlights are blown, it's not worth the trouble. When not blown, if you want the best results using LR, it is necessary to work at the 2:1 or 3:1 pixel level, not broad brush with wide feather.

Personally I try to be acutely aware of when the lighting on faces will cause problems. But I still get caught occasionally. If it was for a client I would be very upset with myself.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Use a fill flash or reflector to get more uniform lighting on their face in the first place. This will always be preferable that trying to fix it in post process.

The alternative is to underexpose (the ETTL version of ETTR) to prevent the blown out highlight, and then use curves to bring the mid-tones back up to normal exposure.
Or simply use underrated circular polarization filter to remove reflections from subject skin. It is like you would have a own make-up artist doing magic....

You can get couple stops off from brighter side and even the exposure even from direct sunlight. Just doesnt fiz the squeezing in subject eyes like shade does.

mpresley

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Michael
In addition to the suggested highlights and exposure brush adjustments, try adding a little negative clarity to your brush. This can at times help reduce the shine... but as already mentioned, if the skin is truly blown out there is nothing you can do to get it back.

klee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
if its very specular, then maybe the spot-correction tool can be used to fill the blown highlight with some color.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom