Removing harsh highlight from people's face?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Truebeam, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Might be ease to do in photoshop but I only have lightroom (5.5) and Nik. I know LR has the brush function but I haven't figured out a good setting to do it. Thanks in advance!

Lily

2. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Show us an example. Unfortunately, for the most part, an overexposed area of an image is not easy to recover but if you shot in RAW you may be ok. Still, I'd like to see what you're starting with...

• Like Like x 1
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I will usually try to pull down global highlights first. Then a bit of negative exposure brush but not more than .66EV or so. Too much spot correction always ruins the picture for me.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Use a fill flash or reflector to get more uniform lighting on their face in the first place. This will always be preferable that trying to fix it in post process.

The alternative is to underexpose (the ETTL version of ETTR) to prevent the blown out highlight, and then use curves to bring the mid-tones back up to normal exposure.

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Portrait module in Perfect Photo Suite. It will also take care of blemish, lines under the eyes.....etc.

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In Lightroom I play with the highlights and shadows sliders to "level" tone then adjust contrast and exposure to "normalize". Only so much one can do in such cases but it is quite noticeable, usually. Might also want to clean up after words with some extra noise reduction.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If the facial highlights are blown, it's not worth the trouble. When not blown, if you want the best results using LR, it is necessary to work at the 2:1 or 3:1 pixel level, not broad brush with wide feather.

Personally I try to be acutely aware of when the lighting on faces will cause problems. But I still get caught occasionally. If it was for a client I would be very upset with myself.

8. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Or simply use underrated circular polarization filter to remove reflections from subject skin. It is like you would have a own make-up artist doing magic....

You can get couple stops off from brighter side and even the exposure even from direct sunlight. Just doesnt fiz the squeezing in subject eyes like shade does.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    In addition to the suggested highlights and exposure brush adjustments, try adding a little negative clarity to your brush. This can at times help reduce the shine... but as already mentioned, if the skin is truly blown out there is nothing you can do to get it back.

10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    if its very specular, then maybe the spot-correction tool can be used to fill the blown highlight with some color.

11. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Just do what I do - change the photo to B&W, push the contrast and clarity, and make it look intentional. ;)

• Like Like x 1