Removing curry smell from camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprocket87, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    So this is an odd one.. I bought a used camera recently and it arrived in good condition, other than smelling strongly of curry. Not a huge deal, I understand people have different tastes and home environments, but every time I touch it the smell hits me pretty strong. Any ideas on how to get rid of the odor? Obviously I'd want to avoid any harmful chemicals in trying to clean it...

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I'd put the camera in a small box filled with alot of shredded or hand ripped newspapers. Possibly put the camera in a permeable bag so it doesn't contact the paper dust directly. If you feel like it throw a sheet of bounce fabric softener.

I'm saying give this a try because if you had a brand new rubbermaid container/storage tote with alot of plastic chemical off vapor the newspapers will absorb it sorta like baking soda in a fridge.

The smell is probably both external and in the internal casing. Interesting......

4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    You could try putting it in a sealed container overnight with an open container of baking soda or coffee also inside the same sealed container (although the latter may result in an urge to drink coffee everytime you take photos :smile:). Other than that, fresh air and time - I would leave it out of a camera bag and/or case as much as possible for a while.

5. Boy777

Boy777 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    Seattle
    Eugene
    By my experience a ground coffee works best for strong smells removal.

6. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    That's an odd one. Maybe this will work... I bought a camera that smelled (reeked) of cigarette smoke once. It wasn't worth it to me to return although the smell bugged me. What I did was - nothing. I just left the camera out in a well ventilated area and the smell went away by itself in a couple of months.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Why would you want to get rid of the smell of curry? Yum! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Hunger may get in the road of picture taking... :p

I would just expose the smelly parts to some sunlight for a few hours and see if that can reduce the smell. Sunlight is pretty good at liberating organic molecules.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Infuse it with opposing smell , like vanilla? :)

10. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Try activated charcoal. I think the smell will go away with time, but the charcoal may speed up the process. I bought a camera from a smoker one time, and it smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke for a few weeks.

11. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Curry smell is coming from an essential oil that is covering the camera. Curry when cooked in oil or clarified butter produces an essential oil that accounts for the persistence of the smell. I doubt the above will work. White Vinegar is the cure for curry and the oil that is fouling your camera. I would

1. Use a very lightly damp (with vinegar) cleaning cloth to lightly rub the camera body to remove the oil. I'd use a weathersealed lens while doing this. Don't get the camera wet. Damp is suffcient
    2. Do this two or three times and get all surfaces includin those behind the lcd.
    3. Then consider using one of the above home remedies. The activated charcoal is the most likely in my estimation to add to this solution...

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  12. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The white vinegar suggestion was recommended elsewhere online too. I'm getting ready to go out of town so for now I will leave it in my office window in direct sunlight, hopefully that improves things by the time I return.

13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Make sure your lens cap is on, and the LCD is pointing away from the sun!

14. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    A reisling or shiraz would go well with a curry!!:smile:

Just Kidding!!!

The soda bicarb idea is a good one.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I would *not* leave it in direct sunlight. It doesn't need the heat or the UV. :(

16. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I bought a stamp collection that smelt, fusty, due to coming out of a damp house. I put the albums in a sealed container of cat litter,
    really good for absorbing smells

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Too dusty for a camera, though! :)

18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Auto parts store have a smell eliminator spray that works pretty good. Put the cam is a big carboard box and spray the juice in there and close the box. Repeat a couple times over the course of a day or two. Then buy a new camera.

19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nor the EVF needing any UV (as it destroys some if adjusted to a certain dioptre strength & burns spots on the EVF display).