1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Removing ball-head from Manfrotto 7302YB?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by quatchi, Dec 2, 2012.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

I have a Manfrotto 7302YB tripod and am quite satisfied with its legs. The ball-head, however, could be better. Especially when mounting a bigger lens (e.g., 75-300) on my E-M5 the ball-head has some slip and framing is not that easy (one has to factor in the slippage when tightening the ball-head screw).

So, here is my question:
    Has anyone disassembled/removed the head from the tripod? Manfrotto states that the head is non removable but they must have assembled it in the first please, right? As I am very satisfied with the legs, I want to only get a bigger ball-head instead of getting a new legs as well.

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Anyone? :crying:

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hacksaw? I looked at some pictures of that model and it does look like they built the head onto the tube. You could cut it off just below the head and then fit a proper mount. Finding and fitting a mount may not be easy however. If I were you I would just upgrade to a better tripod/head.

4. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I finally took your advice and bought the 294A4 with 496RC2 ball head. The legs are one step up from my original one (the 293 seem to be equal to the 7302). The increased height will probably suit me (being >190cm) but I am afraid of the almost 700g additional weight. It probably gets delivered tomorrow, so I will see...