remove battery when camera not in use?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have seen some advice that says you should remove your battery (and SC card) from a camera if you aren't going to be using it for say 1 month. Any thoughts on this? If you do remove the battery, eventually the camera will revert to initial date/time. That's not a problem, but I'm just wondering if (as I suspect) this is all foolishness and as long as you aren't going to leave it a LONG time (like say 6 months) it doesn't matter.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If i remember correctly the EM10.2 manual indicates you will loose your setting in a few days with no battery. Maybe it has a capacitor not internal battery

I think for most devices that info is correct but not sure for camera batteries
I always leave one in mine when not in use but still cycle them after a period

At work we have a lot of monitors that use normal batteries and they do leak. We find some batteries like AA leak more often when in a carrier with more pressure on the ends. Nothing scientific about that just something that has been noticed so I dont leave batteries in my flash when not in use

Edit
Corrected some spelling [probably still not all correct]

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Swelling? Or is that only an issue during charging?

In any case, it would assume you know when you won't be using it and remember to take the battery out.

Swelling is caused when the lithium battery is overcharged, and gas is generated.
The gas swells the case, because a lithium battery does not have a vent, to release the generated gas.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think swelling is only a problem charging, a others have said. Soooo, if lithium ion batteries don't leak, can we say there is no need to remove them if you aren't going to be using the camera for say 1 month?

My 2 cents' worth: I don't know this for a fact other than it has been my experience with several cameras (2 Olympus PEN). I would keep the battery in and make sure it is not left to completely discharge for any length of time, i.e. every couple of months recharge it or replace it with a charged one. What happened to me was that the cameras that had a discharged battery in them for a long time not only lost the date/time setting, but stopped remembering those settings when a charged battery was put in, the time/date reset, kept for a few days, then momentarily removed and reinserted the charged battery, So the the capacitor or internal battery no longer would hold a charge and the time'date need to be reset every time the battery is removed even for a moment.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I leave the batteries in my digital cameras.
If not used, I check and charge the batteries about every 3-4 months.

Same with my old SLRs, batteries are in the cameras.
But if not used, the batteries are removed and kept in a plastic bag.

Flashes and other stuff, I generally remove the batteries when not in use.

Stuff that is not used, is too easy to forget that I have a battery in there.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My 2 cents' worth: I don't know this for a fact other than it has been my experience with several cameras (2 Olympus PEN). I would keep the battery in and make sure it is not left to completely discharge for any length of time, i.e. every couple of months recharge it or replace it with a charged one. What happened to me was that the cameras that had a discharged battery in them for a long time not only lost the date/time setting, but stopped remembering those settings when a charged battery was put in, the time/date reset, kept for a few days, then momentarily removed and reinserted the charged battery, So the the capacitor or internal battery no longer would hold a charge and the time'date need to be reset every time the battery is removed even for a moment.

I have that problem with one of my old P&S cameras, it has to be reset each time I use it. :mad:

Real Name
Walter

I had the camera forgetting time and date settings when the battery is removed, as in some PM2s I had. I believe I read somewhere that a capacitor is used to keep the settings (providing residual power), but when the capacitor is worn out, the camera will forget the settings when the battery is removed. It annoyed me whenever I had to reset the date and time, but it was an annoyance, not a fatal error. I generally store my cameras with a fully charged batteries, but use them at least once a week or so, so they don't sit around that long. I've hardly ever had to reset the date or time in my newer cameras when I changed the battery.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Swelling? Or is that only an issue during charging?

Swelling is caused when the lithium battery is overcharged,

I think swelling is only a problem charging,
Swelling can happen at any time during charging or discharging when the rate of charge or discharge is high. So you could potentially see swelling while in use if you are firing off tons of shots quickly, with camera powered flash, on a hot day, etc. Overly discharging a Li-Ion battery can both cause swelling and reduce the ability to be recharged properly

However to the original question, simply sitting in the camera is not likely to see any swelling since there is only a tiny amount of discharge going on. Hopefully the camera will shut off completely once the battery level falls to the lowest allowed and no longer causes further current flow from the batttery.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom