Remote TTL flash system problems?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NoMoreMirrors, May 10, 2012.

1. NoMoreMirrors

NoMoreMirrors Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2012
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Does anybody make use of the RC system on the recent Pens or E-M5? I haven't received the E-M5 yet to try it, but my Mini definitely acts funny in RC mode. I have an FL-50R that is inconsistently underexposed by 2-4 stops. Remote manual mode works fine for the most part, but TTL is almost useless it's so inconsistent. I put the 50 on the Mini (wow, does that look hilarious), and it works 100% perfectly and consistent in TTL.

I check for a firmware update on the 50, but there isn't one. I thought it was kind of odd for something that old, that's being fired by so many different kinds of systems to not have any updates, but whatever.

Just wondering if anybody has tried it on the E-M5, or maybe remotely fired the FL-600R? How is it working? I'm hoping the experience gets better or else the only real benefit is changing power from the camera.
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    From the reports that I've read (and my own experiences) the RC sensors on the 50R and 36R are not as sensitive as the one in the newer 300R. I've noticed when my 36R sensor isn't fully facing the flash I get inconsistent results - sometimes it doesn't fire at all, sometimes it fires but no TTL, and sometimes there is a pause of 6 seconds and it "randomly" fires.

Test with the 50R sensor directly facing your Mini's flash. Also try changing the RC signal strength from the default of "LO" to "HIGH".