1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Remote Trigger

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by azjsb, Sep 23, 2015.

1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I'm shooting E-m1 with two Metz 64 AF-1 flashes. I have cowered the marketplace and I have been unable to locate a radio trigger that would allow adjusting flash power from the camera. Cactus V6 won't handle the Metz 64 AF-1 but lower/older models. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I am interested as well in a radio trigger for a Metz 44 AF-1 flash. I would like total control as if the flash was sitting on the camera (TTL, etc.). Any ideas?

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Doesn't that flash support remote mode? In which case it would receive commands and setting changes OPTICALLY from a flash on the camera rather than thru radio triggers.

4. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    The Metz 44 AF1 for MF3 supports wireless TTL remote flash mode as well as optical activation using the flash provided with the Olympus M5 II.

5. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    If you want wireless control and not optical control, the Cactus V6 will do it for the Metz 44 AF-1 - manual control but not TTL. It will not support the 64 AF-1 that I have and thus still looking.

6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thanks, I will just wait for TTL wireless remote trigger.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have not found any syncs that will control power levels for the Metz 64 AF-1 - however...

Using the Olympus RC system, this flash is twice as likely to fire than my FL-50Rs - and they respond fairly well even in full sunlight. So you might want to try the RC mode which works better than most would have us believe. The 64 AF-1 just takes it up a notch and is fully compatible with Olympus.

The sensor is someplace in the back so just try and make sure the back is facing your master flash - it also picks up reflected light very well so it doesn't necessary have to have a direct light path. The sensor is "behind a section of housing that is permeable to infrared light" the quoted section if from Metz.

8. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    So if I use the Olympus provided flash on camera with my M5 Mark II, with the flash head facing up vertical 180 degrees or a bit to the right or left at a 90 degree angle, and I have the Metz 44 AF1 on a light stand in front and a bit to the side of my shooting position, would that then trigger the Metz as I fire the Olympus M5 II?

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Can't help ya Larry, I have not tried a 44 AF-1 - anyone else?