remote shutter release on Ep3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by brian watkins, Oct 2, 2011.

1. brian watkins

brian watkins Mu-43 Rookie

Maybe i'm missing something or just partially stupid, but i can't find a way to remotely trip the shutter on my Ep3 either with a wire or remote control. is it possible?
  2. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You have to use the usb port of the camera. I bought one of the cheapo wired ones awhile back - works ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I've used the Phottix Cleon wireless remote for several years now on my Canon DSLR system. It works well enough, although their claim of a 100 meter range may be a bit optimistic. The build quality is also on the cheap side.

PHOTTIX® CLEON II - Wireless Remotes

They seem to have a model for Olympus cameras, including the E-PX series, using the "O6" version of the receiver cable.

They're also offering a new model remote that is only $5 more called the Plato. Other than the sleeker design (and hopefully a better build), this model transmits at 2.4mhz (better reliability?) and can be used both as a wired and wireless remote.

PHOTTIX® PLATO - Wireless Remotes

I may eventually get the Plato, but it's way down my list of priority accessory purchases at this point.

Disclaimer: My experience is only with the original Cleon in combination with the Canon 5D, and I do not know how well the current models work with Olympus cameras, so proceed at your own risk.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I just bought a Shoot branded wired remote that also has built in timers. It cost me about 18 bucks with shipping on ebay. It works great. My only complaint. The usb connector will feel it is all away in when it is not. I thought the unit was broken the first time I used it.