1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

remote shutter release for OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bfloating, Jul 16, 2013.

1. bfloating

bfloating New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    Portland, Oregon

I am searching for "the best bang for the buck " in a remote shutter release for my Olympus OMD E-M5. Would like to hear from owners about their pros and cons. Would also like to stay under say $50. Would prefer wireless but am open to wired as well. If you have been using a remote shutter release and absolutely LOVE IT, please tell me about it briefly, the features, and where you bought it, price, etc. Also want to hear from owners if the have one that they hate, and why.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    Doesn't come under your $50 limit but it also is a remote flash controller. i bought a set of Cactus v5 remotes and absolutely love 'em. $80 for a pair on Amazon...

Cactus Wireless Trigger v5 | CACTUS

5. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Lefty, I have to agree with you, I have the very same remote. As a matter of fact, I purchased a second remote, and the nice thing about it is that you can use it with any camera that you have, you just have to purchase the proper cord for your camera. I purchased my remote with a OMD cord as well as a back up cord for each remote.

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    +1 have it too and it's great

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Aputure Pro CoWorker Wireless remote

Receiver - wireless or can be used as wired remote without batteries, range is 60 feet plus with a house between receiver and transmitter, change cables to change to different camera type.

Transmitter - battery is a not a common battery for photo gear but readily available and inexpensive, has no off switch for the transmitter, remove the battery after shooting.

Dip switches need to be treated gently.

I now own two of these with the first being purchased nearly three years ago.

8. bfloating

bfloating New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Those people are buying the wrong release. Olympus cameras have different releases depending upon camera model, the difference being the plug that goes into the camera. This model does indeed work with the OMD and all Pen cameras except the E-PL1, which does not accept a remote. I have many of these releases as I modify them for sound activation using microphones.

10. Rfinley33

Rfinley33 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    I have and like very much the Vello Free wave. Availabe from B & H
    Vello FreeWave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release (Select Olympus & Canon)
    Ask our Experts! 800.894.9703 Live Chat
    Vello FreeWave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release (Select Olympus & Canon)
    In Stock
    Free Shipping (USA)
    Price: $63.95
    Instant Savings: -20.00
    Offer ends: AUG 31 '13
    Offer ends today. Easy to set up and use. Very functional item for Em-5

You Pay: $43.95

11. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just me, but I say one of two choices.

Get a set of Cactus V5 radio triggers for remote flash and add the Olympus cable to use 'em as a shutter remote. That way, you get triggers that can pull double duty. This is above your budget by about $20, but it can open up the world of off-camera flash to you without the cost of RC-capable flashes.

Or, if you have a smart phone, get the Triggertrap Mobile app, the dongle, and the Olympus cable. Under your budget, and a lot more shutter release options than your typical cable release will give you. Timelapse, distance lapse, motion sensing, sound sensing, etc. etc. Not just a traditional cable release.