1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Remote Shutter Release for Olympus: $3.72 Delivered

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Brian Beezley, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Shut...=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4854adeadf

It arrived today and works fine with my E-PL2. Functionally it is an Olympus RM-UC1 so it should work with any camera that uses that switch. A half press focuses and a full press releases the shutter. The button slides forward and locks for bulb exposure. The cable is three feet long, has a strain relief at the switch, and seems rugged. The unit arrived on the estimated date and took seven days to reach California. Although the eBay seller location is listed as New Jersey, the package was stamped DHL Global Mail. The unit was made in China and probably shipped from there. USPS provided package tracking and delivered it to my mailbox.

Brian

• Like Like x 5
  2. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Does it work with em5?

3. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    I don't believe it will work on EM5. It has the older USB interface, not the current one.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    eBay makes me happy when they sell things that should only cost a few dollar for only a few dollars. Olympus selling this for $60 is harsh.

huai: I got this one which works with the E-M5, though I believe that the OP's does as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Wait, my bad. I just checked my EM5 with my E510 cable and it is the same. I was confusing it with my Sony. My apologies. It is the same cable.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I just checked and the E-PL5 uses the same cable interface, even though Olympus' own website has not been updated to mention RM-UC1 compatibility with any camera after the E-M5.

7. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    This is cheap. I wish there was a nice wireless option (like the Nikon DSLRS)

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'd rather pay $60 for the proper Olympus one rather than risk my expensive camera with some cheap knock off.

Just kiddin'.

9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Price is up to $53.72, I guess they want to complete with the Olympus's retail price. :biggrin:

10. Brian Beezley

[​IMG]

The plug on my shutter release cable was fussy about seating. If it had the slightest angle, the shutter wouldn't trigger. On more than one occasion the cable actually fell out of the socket. My E-PL2 body has a ridge surrounding the socket that prevented the plug from fully seating. The ridge engaged the rubbery extrusion. So I sliced the extrusion in half using an X-Acto knife. The image compares the modified plug with the plug on the Olympus USB cable. The extrusions were the same length before modification. The shutter release plug now seats reliably. I think the E-PL2 body ridge is just a bit too high.

This modification makes the plug bottom out in the socket. This means that the insertion force is fully transmitted to whatever the socket attaches to. For this situation with other kinds of sockets, I've occasionally experienced eventual connection failure due to solder fatigue. I don't know whether the insertion force is transmitted to soldered joints in this socket. But if you do this mod, insert the plug gently. Better yet, don't cut off quite as much as I did. Then the plug won't bottom out and the camera body will take all of the insertion force.

See my later post for a further mod.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, at over $53, it's a non-issue. If it were still less than $4, I'd put up with having to trim the plug around the connector.

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks for the advice, Brian, this sounds exactly like the problem I had been having. I thought I was doing something wrong . . .

13. Brian Beezley

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'm waiting til the price comes down.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jjpistols

jjpistols Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2014
    Austin Texas y'all
    I grabbed one of these a couple weeks ago for my epl3. Works great, no complaints for $4.

16. Brian Beezley

I don't blame you. $3.72 is a steal, but $3.99 is a rip-off.

I just noticed the little bump on the tongue spring on the plugs. It engages with a dimple inside the socket. Evidently that's what's supposed to keep them mated. The bump on the remote shutter plug is slightly smaller than the one on the USB plug. I wondered why I never had a seating problem with the USB plug even though its rubbery extrusion wasn't any shorter. Using the X-Acto knife, I pried up the tongue slightly on the remote shutter plug. It now seats with a satisfying click. I put the piece of rubbery extrusion I had cut off back on the plug and tried it with the raised bump. It seemed to stay better than before, but it never really clicked or locked. Still, it's worth trying to pry up the bump before you cut the extrusion. Maybe that will be enough.

Brian

17. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Mine arrived today. Better than expected. Works as I expected on the E-P5. What a bargain at less than $4.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I guess I'd better factor in the price of this X-Acto knife you mentioned. What the heck is an X-Acto knife?

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's a knife with a small, sharp triangular shaped blade that artists use. You can get then in any artist supply shop and most office supply stores.

http://xacto.com/Home.aspx

Pretty sure that any small sharp knife that has a pointed precision tip could do the trick.

20. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013