1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Remote Shutter Control with OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by majordude, Dec 28, 2012.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I am looking for a remote shutter control for the OM-D. Olympus sells a wired version:

ACCESSORIES | OLYMPUS OM-D | Olympus Imaging

...but I'd like a wireless set-up.

I want "bulb" functionality so I can do long exposures too.

2. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have a Hama which I use for 'stealth' photography on bird feeders etc and works well. Does single, multi, bulb and open. I am afraid the model number went with the packaging so can't help you with that.

Sorry! Just noticed this is your first post so 'welcome'

3. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

I got a cheapo off eBay for around $20 . It works fine and does bulb mode . From memory the listing only says olympus not the omd as it was too new but I took the gamble and it worked.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Like this?

Amazon.com: Aputure 2.4Ghz Trigmaster Kit (One Transmitter + 2 Receivers) Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E

One transmitter, two receivers, remote flash and remote shutter control with 'bulb'. Under $50 U.S. at Amazon.

I can't review, mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm only going on specifications and the two reviews available on Amazon. However I missed having one during the meteor showers this fall (my Nikon release doesn't work on the EM-5) so although I'm keeping my GAS to a minimum I think this gadget falls into the 'should have' category for me. :wink:

EDIT: Just checked, mine should be here on 1/4/13.

HTH

Jim

5. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    The way Americans show dates always confuses me as I imagine the way we do confuses you. I first read this as arriving on the 1st April and was full of admiration for your patience ... :smile:

6. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :rofl:

Patience is not my strong point. Hopefully the free shipping will not take until April. (Although since I'm not a cold weather shooter it may well be April before the gear gets a work out :biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have that set and it works fine as a remote, and it auto focuses just fine and works for bulb. The problem is the transmitter unit takes an oddball battery.

I upgraded to the Aputure plus units, they a bit more expensive, but they all take aaa batteries, are both a transmitter and receiver, and they have a much nicer antenna, and in my testing have a far better range.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Zariell, thanks for that information. I think that for my (limited) purposes that the basic set will work, but I've added your recommended upgrade to my 'wish list' on Amazon just in case.

The O.P. might want to look at the specs on Amazon for each unit, your model might be better for him :thumbup:.

I want to set the camera up on a tripod on the patio and take sky shots of meteor showers and such by remote trigger from my (indoor) easy chair. :biggrin:. Of course the city lights will foul up the shots but that's part of the challenge. The range from chair to tripod will be 20' or so.

I had a similar unit for my Nikon and rarely used it; I had no plans to get one for the Olympus but got a gift certificate for Amazon and that pesky Fuji X-100 is still priced over fifty bucks so I ordered the remote...:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  9. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks! I'll take a look at those.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
  11. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    The basic should be just fine, I can get the camera to fire from my house to the camera at the end of the driveway about 50 feet. When I use the plus I can take photographs from my basement from outside the house in my car :)

12. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I thought I wanted a wireless solution but after looking at what this thing does I bought it. I think I can use it to take 10 pictures of 10 minutes each with 1 second between shots. (That's better than me having to time and take the shots myself!)

Amazon.com: Aputure Timer Camera Remote Control Shutter Cable 3L for Olympus EVOLT SP-510, SP-550, SP-560, SP-565, SP-570, SP-590, Olympus E-620, E-600, E-520, E-510, E-450, E-420, E-410, E-400,E-300, Olympus PEN E-P1, PEN E-P2, Inexpensive Intervalo

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Too bad you didn't wait just a little longer...I use a wireless Pixel TW-282, and I KNOW it can be set for so many exposures (N) so much time apart (INTVL)...after setting that you press the (play) button and it goes to work.

But looking at the description for the wired remote you ordered it should do what you need.

14. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    thanks for the heads up on the Aputure plus! I think I will give it a try myself....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I don't use them so much for a remote shutter, but they do wonders for my wireless flash setups. :p

16. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I have the trigger trap. It works quite well with the E-M5. It's not wireless though, so not an answer for the OP's question. So long as you don't need to be any distance from the camera it does a good job.

I have an Aputure Gigtube for wireless release. This is the $200+ setup that provides a wireless LCD remote and receiver so you can see what the camera sees as you shoot and the resulting image. I've never tried it on bulb, but it works well in every other way.

17. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I just bought one. It came in, but it is currently in Iowa and I am in Arizona. :(

18. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Can the wireless remotes not do the same?