Remote Realease for OMD 1 mk2

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
Hi

I am keen to get a remote release for my 1.2 but I note that there is a dedicated one (Olympus RM-CB2 Remote Cable) and a general Olympus one which also, apparently, covers the 1.2 (Olympus RM-UC1 Remote Control).

I'd prefer to get the CB2 as it is made for the mk2...but does it also work on teh Mk3 (for when I upgrade...ha)? Any differences in functionality?

Many thanks

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
RM-UC1 connector

According to the Olympus web site it fits the models:
E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PM1, E-PL2, E-PL3,
E-30, the E-400 series, E-510, E-520, E620,
OM-D E-M1, E-M5, EM10, etc.

You need the CB2 for the 1.2, the RM-UC1 will not fit, I have one for my EM5.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
E-M1 II. You don't need to buy the expensive Olympus one. It is identical to this one, which you can buy a cheap compatible for on Amazon or eBay:
Remote shutter release
Compatible with the Canon RS-60E3.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
None of those are the genuine Canon version.

This is the genuine Canon version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-RS...228623&hash=item364bd90339:g:nLwAAOSwlsteLaXJ

I have an i-shoot remote switch which works fine. The slidey mechanism to enable continuous shooting was too loose though - I've glued it shut.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
None of those are the genuine Canon version.

This is the genuine Canon version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-RS...228623&hash=item364bd90339:g:nLwAAOSwlsteLaXJ

I have an i-shoot remote switch which works fine. The slidey mechanism to enable continuous shooting was too loose though - I've glued it shut.
That is what I have found with some of my cheap remotes, they do not work as well as the OEM ones. My JJC remotes seem to be OK but have not found one for the EM1.3 yet.

When I come to think about it there seems to be less Olympus third party accessories these days. I notice SmallRig cancelled their upcoming EM1.2/3 L bracket. Unfortunately this will probably only get worse. Hope things like flashes to not get harder to buy for Mu-43 gear.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
That is what I have found with some of my cheap remotes, they do not work as well as the OEM ones. My JJC remotes seem to be OK but have not found one for the EM1.3 yet.

When I come to think about it there seems to be less Olympus third party accessories these days. I notice SmallRig cancelled their upcoming EM1.2/3 L bracket. Unfortunately this will probably only get worse. Hope things like flashes to not get harder to buy for Mu-43 gear.
There's 12 years' worth of MFT bodies, lenses and flashguns lurking in seldom used camera bags all over the world. When and if the new stuff is discontinued, sourcing secondhand won't be a problem for many, many years.

rChaz

Mu-43 Rookie
If you look for the "Olympus RM-CB2 Release Cable" on B&H's site, below the "Add to Cart" rectangle, they offer an alternative compatible 3rd party release cable (Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras with 2.5mm Sub-Mini Connections) for ~$8. Works nicely on my EM1.3 & the price is nice.

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One option is to use the Olympus OI.Share app and use your smartphone if you have one.
Thank you- but I find that a pain- especially at night. Think a cable will be an easier but less technical an option

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all for your advice. Think I'll spend the extra few bucks and get an OEM one and try and prop up Olympus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom