Remote for E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slackercruster, Jan 31, 2014.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Does anyone make a wired or wireless remote to work with the E-PL1?

Thanks

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    No, I believe this won't work because Olympus had decided in 2010 to "remove" the remote release feature that was available on the E-P2 so it won't canabilize their higher end sales. No sure about the E-P1, but I was told that the E-PL1 was the only Pen model that had no remote release feature built-in on the USB port. The only way to remote release is through a mechanical cable release rig which I think no longer is for sale or through the bulb timer and 2sec antishock interval timer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have an E-PL1 but never bothered to check - does it even have a jack to plug in a remote?

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'll give it a test (I have an EPL-1 on the shelf, just never tried the remote with it.

I'll try to get to it tonight if the Princess of the Exchequer will allow me to play with cameras on a Friday night :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sounds good! Let us know..:smile:

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    BikerHiker, you made a good call, at least as far as this remote is concerned.

I tested with E-M5 and it worked fine, tested with E-PL1 and no go, even with fresh batteries all around.

Regards,

Jim

8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    It has a mini-USB port on the right side of the body (looking from the back) which is covered by a small plastic access panel. The trigger sits in the hot shoe and connects to the camera via a cable. Unfortunately, as pointed out by BikerHiker and tested by me, this remote doesn't work on the E-PL1 :mad:.

Regards,

Jim

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Remote trigger via USB on the epl1 is disabled by Olympus. When I need that func. I use my em5.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  11. usayit

No it won't even though it has the connector. The feature is disabled by Olympus. Notice the epl1 is not listed on compatible list and people in this thread including me tested it.

You will need a physical way to depress the shutter button remotely. It will probably be easier just to get a camera that supports it.... Perhaps a used ep2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Does anyone know if the current E-PM2 supports remote release?

Thanks!

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I've done this not with my Olympus, but with my Nikon Coolpix AW110 through WIFI control and my Velbon monopod acting as a boom. I can then control it via my iPad Mini acting as a remote control for the little camera, but has to be in an area with little radio interference. Fun and it works really well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. usayit

"Can this camera be used for time-lapse photography?

This camera's Anti-shock function can be used in conjunction with the sequential shooting drive mode to shoot time lapse photography sequences. The series of captured images can later be converted into movies using third-party software.

Anti-shock is used to delay firing the shutter after the shutter button has been pressed. This allows any vibration to dissipate before the exposure is made. Anti-shock allows intervals of up to 30 seconds to be preset.

When combined with sequential shooting, Anti-shock can be used to command the camera to shoot at preset intervals much like the way an intervalometer can control a camera. In this configuration, the camera will take the first picture when the shutter button is pressed and then it will continue to capture images at the preset interval – for example, every 5 seconds – until one of the following occurs:

The shutter button is released.
    The memory card capacity is reached.
    The camera records the maximum number of images. The limit varies depending on the selected record mode and the speed of the memory card. For example, when shooting with a Toshiba SDHC UHS-I memory card (R95-W80, Premiugate series, speed class 10, 8GB), the camera can capture 17 sequential frames in the RAW record mode or up to the card capacity in the LN (Large size, Normal compression) JPEG record mode.
    Using the optional Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1) will be more convenient because the remote can be locked once the button on the remote control is pressed and the camera will continue to shoot unattended. To purchase the RM-UC1, click here.

Notes: Olympus recommends mounting the camera on a tripod or securing it with a camera clamp when shooting time-lapse sequences. It is also recommended to use Manual Focus to prevent focus from shifting during the sequence. A lower quality record mode may have to be used to reduce the size of the frames when creating a movie."

From E-PM2 FAQ... so it seems so.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1629

15. AggieFAN86

AggieFAN86 New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    Since the EPL1 was created, as THE low-tier mirrorless camera, and design geared as a P+S delight - that RC option been long out the door (along with the 1/2000 limitation, Mono Int. Mic, ...)
    It still a workhorse of a mirrorless body; my EPL1S has some character, esp. thanks to its Red Body (done with taste), and wears a Black Lens beautifully