1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Remote Flash with E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lou616, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Lou616

Lou616 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Lou Pepoy
    I have been playing with my new camera and FL300R flash in the remote mode. Is there a way to trigger the flash off-camera with the camera-mounted flash not firing? (I could do this with my old Nikon D300 and SB800 flash--and not add to the fill light).

2. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Good Q, as I bought the same flash. I think it is optically triggered not wireless as I believed it to be .. so in short no, it needs another flash to set it off as far as I can work out. I set the small on camera flash compensation to -3.0 so its weak and 'usually' it sets the FL300R off without contributing too much itself. Otherwise 2 Trigmasters works a treat.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, just turn off the on-camera flash from the SCP. If you've not yet got into the menus, the following post is helpful:

Setting Up An Olympus OM-D E-M5 — Thumati.com

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, it's optically triggered, but the pre-flash fires before the exposure and the main flash can be totally turned off so far as the shot itself is concerned.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. Lou616

Lou616 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Lou Pepoy
    Thanks for the input. I'll try the flash intensity reduction first so little of the on-camera flash affects the intended shadow fill-in.

Lou616

7. Lou616

Lou616 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Lou Pepoy
    I've gone through the suggestions.

I tried the set-up suggestions in the link. I don't know what I (re)set, but now when I focus there is a hissing sound like the camera is hunting to focus. Causes? Cures?

The remote will fire if I reduce my flash exposure to -3. However, the remote (FL-300R) fires a second or so after the on-camera flash fires. I would like it to fire at the time the shutter release is -- like the on-camera flash. Cures?

I don't get the SCP like the set-up link showed, or the instructions. I get a U-shaped arrangement of functions around the screen or viewfinder. Is that it? I think I'd find the full screen SCP more useful. What did I set wrong?

Thanks for any more information. I'll give you feedback.

Lou

8. RobWatson

On my E-M5 the hissing sound is IBIS doing its thing. Also the flash when firing makes a kind of hissing sound.

RC mode on and from live image press OK (might need to cycle through some menus using INFO) to bring up the flash config menu (like described in the link second to last image at the end of the article. Make sure you have the on camera flash set to off. I like to use group B only because it is obvious on the FL-300R when the little slider is in the OFF versus B position. Set flash exp comp in this menu. Also in this menu set the RC intensity to LO/MED/HI - you mention -3 eV and that is you flash compensation NOT the RC intensity so it sounds like either the FL-300R is at -3 EV flash comp or you are not in RC mode and have the on camera flash set to -3 EV flash comp.

Get to RC mode from MENU - Camera 2 menu - RC mode can be OFF or ON.

In the SCP under flash you can set the flash mode.

You said "FL-300R fires a second of so after" sound like you have second curtain and a very long exposure time! What is your mode and exposure time? If you are letting the camera meter and set exposure and it is dark then the camera will take a long exposure then fire the flash effectively using ambient as the main source then a bit of fill flash. When I do long exposure (not with second curtain) the on camera fires right away and the off camera flash fires shortly after and then the long exposure completes. Never seen a few seconds delay between RC flash and off cam flash unless I setup for second curtain with a long exposure time.

9. Lou616

Lou616 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Lou Pepoy
    Yes, I did have the flash set to 'slow' and the room was moderately dark.

What is IBIS?

I'll keep trying with my flash and the remote.

Thanks, Lou

10. RobWatson

In Body Image Stabilization - the E-M5 'wiggles' the sensor to compensate for shaky hands. So do all Olympus MFT bodies.

Contrast IBIS with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) found in Panasonic (and other) lenses.