Remote Flash - Need advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Muntjack, May 14, 2012.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I rarely use flash but since getting the E-M5 I'm getting quite interested in the possibilities of using the remote facility.

I really know absolutely nothing and for a kick off my first question would be - Which flashes would actually work remotely with my camera?

Do all the Oly flashes with RC work OK or do they need particular Sync speed or something. Could I use other manufacturer's flash units and if so which ones). The Oly units seem very expensive BTW!

Any help and advice gratefully received.

M

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I use Nissin Di466 for m4/3 it works in every setup I can test, including wireless remote which triggered from included FL-LM2 flash. The down side is Di466 can not be rotated only change angle.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The Oly 50R, 36R, 300R and 600R can be fired remotely via the RC system.
    A lot of Metz flashes can as well (although you'll have to research specific models).

Try to play with one in person if you can, some of them can be quite small (300R) and others can be quite big (50R).

There is a pretty good used market with these flashes - that's where I got my 36R. I would recommend looking there for deals.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I have a Metz 50 AF-1 that I bought for $175 slightly used. Works great in RC mode or on body, it just has a crappy menu system where the OEM ones may be better there.

5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010

Many thanks for that... maybe I'll start by adding a 36R to my ever growing kit bag.

M

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hmm, the 36 is pretty poor value and slow to recycle - if you can't stretch to the 50, best with the Nissan or Metz 48-AF 1 or something similar....