Remote control software

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slothead, Feb 4, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Over the weekend I set up my Nikon to capture some images of a bird that had been frequenting a bush in front of our house. I have a piece of software that runs on a laptop tied to the Nikon and then connects though my local wifi router to my iPad. I can sit in the family room and keep an eye on the iPad to see if the bird has arrived in the bush. It's really a pretty cool set up.

So yesterday I wrote to OnOne Software that makes the DSLR Remote for Nikon and Canon and asked when they were going to extend the support to Olympus cameras. Today they wrote back and said they didn't plan to do that... Nothing more than Nikon and Canon.

Does anyone know of another vendor of such software that can do this sort of thing?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'd say it's up to Olympus to provide tethering to begin with. Canon provides tethered shooting capable software with all their DSLR's, so the functionality is there, making it easier for third parties to 'reverse engineer' it.

Doesn't the GH3 have remote shutter tethering with mobile phones or something?
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    The only software that I am aware of that will do anything remotely (pardon the pun) like this with an E-M5 is Triggertrap Mobile for IOS or Android, but it won't do anything like your Nikon software will like exposure, focus etc., and it requires their proprietary dongle.

There may be stuff I'm not aware of :smile: