relying on E-PL1 for this weekend's trip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Nov 5, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    My wife and I are going to Austin, TX this weekend. She has a seminar to go to and I'll be exploring and taking pics. I'm taking my Canon 40D with me just in case I find a reason to need it, but I'm relying on my E-PL1 as my primary camera -- I plan to keep the 40D in the car unless I absolutely need to use it. I hope to come back with some great pics from my Pen and I'm looking forward to carrying nothing more than the camera, an extra SD card, and one lens in a small shoulder case. No neck breaking SLR to lug around for me.

An interesting side note -- I was doing some research today about places to go and sights to see and I noticed more than one that mentioned "no professional cameras" or similar wording. My E-PL1 just looks like any other point and shoot so it will be nice not to have to worry about getting hassled by an overzealous security guard anywhere :)
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Leave the 40D at home and consider the E-PL1 as just as good a camera, if not better, and surprise yourself. :smile:

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Yeah, same advice here : you better leave the Canon at home, not in the car.
    You would be sorry if someone broke into your car :wink:

C U,
  4. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Y'all are tempting me. I'm leaving in an hour -- I'll see if I can muster the courage to leave the 40D out of the trunk ;-)
  5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Whey to go, have a good weekend.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
  7. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Yep, take the plunge and leave the 40D behind :thumbup:

I've just returned from 7 weeks holiday overseas, and the EPL1 did us proud (one shot here and see my Picasa site link below for more.....).

The only issue I faced was changing between 14-42 and 40-150 now and again, so last week, I committed even more, and purcahsed the 14-150 for next time we go away :2thumbs:

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="">[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  8. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    I am toing to South East Asia for a month for my winter vac, will be leaving my Canon at home, just the epl-1 with the kit lens, 20 1.7 and 45-200. Small easy to carry system. Have complete confidence in the system.
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I am curious to hear what you took with you and how it went twalker. I am a fellow 40D/E-PL1 user, and I understand your conflicted decision making process. I really am trying to just use the Canon for faster action stuff, but I need to invest in some glass beyond the 14-42 kit lens for sure. I'm only about a month in to my mu4/3s experience. Just found this forum - looks very cool.
  10. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I did it -- left the 40D at home

Well folks, I took the plunge -- I left the 40D at home. And I didn't regret it for a minute. I had my E-PL1 with me all weekend along with the 14-42 kit and the 20/1.7 and I was happy as could be. My only wish was for a bit longer focal length at the botanical garden but boy was it nice carrying around one small bag than it would have been to lug my SLR around all weekend.

Here are my Flickr sets from the trip:

For the car folks (my trip to Ferrari of Austin -- all pics with the 20/1.7)
    Ferrari of Austin - a set on Flickr

And a quick sample from that set:

For the flora and fauna folks (from Zilker botanical garden -- all with 14-42)
    Austin - Zilker Botanical Garden - a set on Flickr

And a sample:

And finally a few beauty shots of Austin (all with 14-42)
    Austin - Zilker Park - a set on Flickr

And a sample:

I could not be more thrilled with what the E-PL1 did. I am SERIOUSLY considering selling my Canon gear now and buying a couple more lenses and a G2 to go along with my E-PL1.

Thanks for pushing me to leave the SLR at home folks! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    glad you enjoyed the experience :) I'm sure there is a time for the canon...i wouldn't sell it so quickly, but i love micro four thirds :) works for me
  12. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    I would hold off on selling the dslr for now. If you take any action, the dslr is much better for that.
  13. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I don't have my Canon gear on eBay just yet but I am getting close. I honestly haven't used it since buying my E-PL1. I don't do any action photography so that's not even a concern for me. I'll hang on to my Canon stuff for a bit longer but I have a feeling it won't be TOO long :)
  14. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I took that leap of faith

back in May when we took our Northwest vacation. I left my D700 and lenses at home and took a nice small bag with the EPL1 and kit lens along with the 45-200 Panasonic. It delivered in spades. I'd do it again for sure just for the lowered carry weight and ease of travel.

15. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Unless you have a ton of money tied up in the DSLR system and need to get it back, I'd hang onto the DSLR with one or two key lenses. Why? As good as the :43: system is (and it is), you will still need the DLSR for the occasional time when you need any sort of meaningful shallow DOF control. Yes, I know you can achive shallow DOF with :43:, but I did specify 'meaningful'. Sometimes you need shallow DOF at longer distances for portraits, etc, and getting there with :43: is next to impossible. Unless you decide to go with an adapter and legacy lenses, but then you're not only losing AF, you're losing the size and weight advantages that you bought the :43: gear for in the first place.

Each system has its place, and excels in different areas. :43: is great for landscapes, travel and street photography, but it does fall short in other areas. No free lunch... :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    You are absolutely right Rudi and after last night's experience with the E-PL1 I am definitely hanging onto my Canon gear.

I found the Achilles heel of the E-PL1 (well, one anyway.) Low light photography. Now, I'm talking VERY low light here. My wife's 20 year reunion was last night and after dinner they turned the lights down for the dancing. Of course I don't expect any camera to take pics in the dark but without any sort of AF assist light, the E-PL1 was completely useless. If I had my 40D with me, I could have continued to take flash pictures even though it was dark.

So you are right, no free lunch. I'm fortunate to have both the E-PL1 and a DSLR kit so I have all my bases covered.
  17. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    It's certainly my experience that a longer focal length is useful when travelling. You might want to consider swapping the 14-42 for the 14-150mm. I'm fairly pleased with mine (bought it in a kit with my E-PL1 instead of the 14-42). It's not significantly larger than the 14-42, although it doesn't collapse so leaving it on-camera makes it more awkward to slip into a bag.

I'm wondering about this too. The autofocus of the E-PL1 troubles me a little, so I'll hang on until we've had a bit more time with the camera. By that time, there might be an E-P3 with fast autofocus and built-in viewfinder :).