relubed, but still stiff ... what next ?

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Today I disassembled and cleaned the focusing helicoid on my Jupiter 9 rangefinder lens following a You Tube video. The lens had been extremely difficult to rotate for focus. I removed all the old grease using lighter fluid and cleaned all thread surfaces with alcohol. They came out perfectly clean and I didn't see any damage to the threads. I relubed the helical using "SuperLube", a synthetic grease (PTFE). Reassembly went fine and infinity was maintained.

While the lens is now able to focus freely, it is still a bit stiff doing so. I had been hoping for a nice smooth and buttery focus. The Jupiter 9 was made in 1969. Is this result all I can expect ? Is there something else I should have done or can do ? I don't mind giving it another try. It's a nice cold weather project.

Thanks for any help.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Tried a solution from some members at Pentax Forums that worked for me. I re-cleaned the lens and re-applied a much smaller amount of the "SuperLube" grease. It's a bit thick for lens use and I used too much on the first try which caused problem on the finer threads of the helicoid. I'm told a better grease product for lenses is Helimax XP, available online. But, right now my Jupiter 9 is nice and smooth.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
A synthetic grease with PTFE can be made with different resistance properties. That is, it is not just a lubricating grease but also a 'damping' grease. It is useful to smooth the jerky movement in photographic equipment like lenses & tripod panorama heads etc., but maybe you needed a lighter grade of it.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
When I've CLA'd Rokkors, I only use a couple toothpick tips worth of synthetic bicycle grease.
(A much better deal than Helimax if the viscosity is appropriate, although even a tiny vial would service a lot of lenses.)

I've read that tighter (finer threads) helicoids should have thinner grease, and looser ones should have thicker.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
When I've CLA'd Rokkors, I only use a couple toothpick tips worth of synthetic bicycle grease.
(A much better deal than Helimax if the viscosity is appropriate, although even a tiny vial would service a lot of lenses.)

I've read that tighter (finer threads) helicoids should have thinner grease, and looser ones should have thicker.
When I was looking for this type of grease it ended up being Tri-Flow Clear Synthetic Grease from Cleveland, OH. I think I bought it on ebay, but I wanted it for redoing pivot points on tripod legs etc & now I also use it for lubricating string fine adjustment screws on violin tailpieces etc. it's also ideal for 'O' ring lubrication too.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
A synthetic grease with PTFE can be made with different resistance properties. That is, it is not just a lubricating grease but also a 'damping' grease. It is useful to smooth the jerky movement in photographic equipment like lenses & tripod panorama heads etc., but maybe you needed a lighter grade of it.
Yes, you are right. I have learned that the "SuperLube" grease I used has a NLGI rating grade 2, while Helimax has a NLGI rating of grade 1 being thinner.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
This is the bicycle grease I use, fwiw:
Finish Line Premium Grease made with Teflon Fluoropolymer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5YYYA/

Gnarlydog, who repairs and modifies a lot of lenses, says re the Finish Line grease:
I have used that grease on very fine helicoids but it's way too light on poorly machined (sloppy) Russian lenses
I find it also light enough for the very fine thread of the Kodak Cine lenses.
I still have a tube of that grease that is probably 12+ years old; no separation and clear as the day I bought it

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I don't know how long these synthetic greases with Teflon has been around for, but I remember as an apprentice in a newspaper several decades ago the tradesman getting an expensive small tube of grease out to use on a worn drive shaft of a Linotype machine. I know Teflon has been around for a long time now though.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
This is the bicycle grease I use, fwiw:
Finish Line Premium Grease made with Teflon Fluoropolymer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5YYYA/

Gnarlydog, who repairs and modifies a lot of lenses, says re the Finish Line grease:
my tube looks different, but it could be just old packaging
If I put some of my finger and pinch it with the thumb and then separate them, there is no resistance and no stringing. It almost feels like Vaseline

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom