Relocation of DPReview

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Why did they move from London to the United States ?
    Did all personnel join the move, in which town do they have office now ?
    Mm, guess I will miss the british humor, the britisch pubs, The Tames, etc.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Herman,
    According to their web site they are in Seattle.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure why they moved, but it does explain, at least in my opinion, the tardiness of the LX5 and S95 reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Doesn't Amazon now own DPR? Is Amazon based in Seattle (they are at least West Coast).

• Like Like x 2
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    By the nature of their business I would assume that the personnel could be based anywhere in the world as long as they are hooked up to a computer. Moving the company's base could be for cost or tax reasons - or maybe they don't fancy the austerity we appear to be facing for about the next 150 years! :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Acc. to me you're right, and yes headquarters of Amazon is based in Seattle, WA.

7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    They can live in the clouds (virtual office). Acc. to me there's no need to move from good old England to the States.

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Herman, The US is perfect...
    We let everyone in......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

To be quite honest, they have been living in a cloud for a long time, very biased against Olympus for some reason or other, probably because canikon spends more money on advertising. Yes, Amazon now owns it....I wonder if Simon and that other fella who originally owned it have pulled up stakes and moved....if they did they are nuts!

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Don't forget they are biased against pentax too! Did you read that little news blurb? Oly E-5 review is coming, and they are doing their damndest to procure a d7000 to review - pentax K-r and K-5? Not even mentioned!

Also, they have been owned by Amazon for quite awhile now - I would guess they'll have staff in both locations, and Amazon probably just wants their address to be in the US for some odd reason.

11. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

Here DPReview's editor's brief explanation.

Have you actually taken a look at DPReview's reviews? They are 20+ pages with extremely detailed and thorough rundown of pretty much every aspect of the camera. This translates to tens, maybe hundreds of manhours of work. They have (obviously) limited resources, and expecting them to review every camera is ludicrous.

And there are plenty of Pentax reviews elsewhere.

Biased? Occam's Razor and all that.