Reload Firmware

Carlosvan

New to Mu-43
Hi, can anyone help with reloading FireWire that may be corrupt on 12-50mm f3.5 lens
This is the M4/3 tele wise macro lense

It’s not recognising the lens on the camera or in Olympus update software so I think it’s lost the firmware during update

Any help will be greatly appriciated

Note I’m using it (when it works) on em-5 mk-1 and em-1 mk1

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi, can anyone help with reloading FireWire that may be corrupt on 12-50mm f3.5 lens

It’s not recognising the lens on the camera or in Olympus update software so I think it’s lost the firmware during update

Sorry to barge in without a solution, but the word you meant was "firmware". Firewire is whole other kettle of fish. And to my knowledge (which I hope will be proven wrong), a botched F/W update on a lens requires a trip to the manufacturer because basically you need to desolder the memory chip to flash it again with a dedicated machine as the camera can't communicate anymore with the lens itself.

M.

Carlosvan

New to Mu-43
Sorry... dam autocorrect!!!!

So there’s no way to reload or rest to factory setting?

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro

I would first do as @Growltiger suggested, clean the camera/lens contacts.
Then check that it works on the camera.
If the camera talks to the lens, then try running the FW update again.

If that fails, then it is a trip to Olympus Service Dept.

Firmware update is normal but risky process.
If it fails, you "brick" the device.
It would be nice to have an "emergency reset" option, but I've not seen one in all my dealing with firmware on cameras or computers.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Firmware update is normal but risky process.
If it fails, you "brick" the device.
It would be nice to have an "emergency reset" option, but I've not seen one in all my dealing with firmware on cameras or computers.
It does exist on some embedded routers and such. Basically, to work, it needs space for two f/w side by side and an immutable emergency recovery boot loader. Updating erases the most ancient area, and when the writing has been validated, the area becomes the default f/w. If something were to fail, the emergency boot loader can still boot into the other area to restore the last known good f/w and repeat the flashing.
So in a pinch, you need twice the required amount of memory for that safety. That's why I believe it's not possible on the lens. On the camera it may be possible at least for Olympus to use the sdcard method of flashing in case of a failed on-line update, because I believe the bootloader looks for a special file immdiately on power-on and in case it finds it, it flashes the camera no questions asked, so it may be a safety against botched updates. I wouldn't bet on it though.
M.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom