Religious procession in Portugal

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Antonio Correia, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    In this kind of event I do like to use wide angle lenses. This time I used Panny GX7 the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 @... let me have a look... 7mm, that is, 14mm in 35mm
    One notices however the deformation at the far right and left sides but, what the heck !
    The central area is not deformed and the image looks fine.

However, I am too "obliged" to the use of the same format or proportions. I would like to see the saint more to the right of the image and that, is only possible using a different crop factor. Let me try the 3/4 just for fun !

i-pp7qCMv-XL.

The 3/4 doesn't work as you can see bellow !
    i-K9Vs4Wg-XL.

But the square is OK !
    i-Hs8htRs-XL.

I have printed the 3/5 version - the first one - which I will be offering the responsable for the procession.

Your thoughts please !

Oh something else: in this image I spent about one hour and I have used Affinity, LR and CS5 ! A mess :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    All of the white space around the image doesn't work well online. 1:1 is the strongest version, IMO.

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I prefer no 1. I don't mind the distortion.

I feel 3/4 cuts off the on the right at an awkward position

1:1 okay, but no my favourite

4. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Thank you both for your opinion. :thumbsup:
    I was beginning to think that no one would comment these photographs. The forum is - or looks like - more on the technical side... :rolleyes: 

The white canvas enhances the image, m4/3boy, this is why I use it most of the time.

In this project I am "obliged" to crop all the time @3/5 proportions.
    Here is another one.
    Thank you fro watching ! :2thumbs:
    i-3q49kGX-XL.

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Sorry but I strongly disagree; when an image is presented ONLINE with white space around it it distracts the eye and the brain from the photograph. It draws attention AWAY from the photo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    @Antonio Correia@Antonio Correia
    That's a nice image. I too like the original crop. You have used the converging power lines and the roof line to create a nice focal point. I would crop the 4:3 version more to the right if I was to use that format.

I have to agree with this. I would present these without the white borders. Even if you want to use the borders, I think that yours are too wide/tall for web use. Take a look at use @Alpha Whiskey Photography@Alpha Whiskey Photography's work on this forum for what I find to be a very pleasing use of a narrow margins and border.

7. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Thank you guys for your opinions ! :2thumbs:

8. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Guys... excuse me if I insist on my version. I am sure there will be - there are - others that like my version of the frame.
    Woman boarding while the saint goes in another boat.

i-tgrpgmq-XL.

i-8dN7dZf-XL.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.