Religious procession in Portugal

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Antonio Correia, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    In this kind of event I do like to use wide angle lenses. This time I used Panny GX7 the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 @... let me have a look... 7mm, that is, 14mm in 35mm
    One notices however the deformation at the far right and left sides but, what the heck !
    The central area is not deformed and the image looks fine.

However, I am too "obliged" to the use of the same format or proportions. I would like to see the saint more to the right of the image and that, is only possible using a different crop factor. Let me try the 3/4 just for fun !

i-pp7qCMv-XL.

The 3/4 doesn't work as you can see bellow !
    i-K9Vs4Wg-XL.

But the square is OK !
    i-Hs8htRs-XL.

I have printed the 3/5 version - the first one - which I will be offering the responsable for the procession.

Your thoughts please !

Oh something else: in this image I spent about one hour and I have used Affinity, LR and CS5 ! A mess :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    All of the white space around the image doesn't work well online. 1:1 is the strongest version, IMO.

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I prefer no 1. I don't mind the distortion.

I feel 3/4 cuts off the on the right at an awkward position

1:1 okay, but no my favourite

4. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Thank you both for your opinion. :thumbsup:
    I was beginning to think that no one would comment these photographs. The forum is - or looks like - more on the technical side... :rolleyes:

The white canvas enhances the image, m4/3boy, this is why I use it most of the time.

In this project I am "obliged" to crop all the time @3/5 proportions.
    Here is another one.
    Thank you fro watching ! :2thumbs:
    i-3q49kGX-XL.

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Sorry but I strongly disagree; when an image is presented ONLINE with white space around it it distracts the eye and the brain from the photograph. It draws attention AWAY from the photo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    @Antonio Correia@Antonio Correia
    That's a nice image. I too like the original crop. You have used the converging power lines and the roof line to create a nice focal point. I would crop the 4:3 version more to the right if I was to use that format.

I have to agree with this. I would present these without the white borders. Even if you want to use the borders, I think that yours are too wide/tall for web use. Take a look at use @Alpha Whiskey Photography@Alpha Whiskey Photography's work on this forum for what I find to be a very pleasing use of a narrow margins and border.

7. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Thank you guys for your opinions ! :2thumbs:

8. Antonio Correia

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    Guys... excuse me if I insist on my version. I am sure there will be - there are - others that like my version of the frame.
    Woman boarding while the saint goes in another boat.

i-tgrpgmq-XL.

i-8dN7dZf-XL.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016