Release this NOW - Olympus patent discloses a faster 12-50mm f/2.8-4.0 lens.

KVG

Banned User
Real Name
Kelly Gibbons
Olympus or Panasonic needs to get off their ass and produce a constant f1.8 zoom like Sigma's 18-35mm apsc zoom for a reasonable price, then a lot of people will be happy. I think not only will the customers will be all over this, but they will sell a huge of volume of those lenses.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Sigma's f1.8 zoom broke absolutely new ground, I imagine it'll be a little while before anyone else cooks up an optical formula that good without breaking any patent laws...

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
As an Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 owner I don't have any interest in this, but I'm pretty sure others might have use for such lens. The more choices the better.

LeeOsenton

Mu-43 Button Clicker
Real Name
Lee Osenton
Wasn't there a similar 4/3rds lens? I vaguely remember a 14-54? with variable aperture 2.8 to 4. The lens was very popular and priced well below the 12-60 f2.8 pro lens.

I'm excited about this prospect. I want to think price and size will make it attractive to those (like me) that don't want to drop a grand on a heavy zoom with constant f2.8.

I alternate between the P14 and P20. Some situations spark constant lens swaps. I don't want a kit or pro zoom but a sharp enthusiast grade lens would be awesome.

Lee

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Wasn't there a similar 4/3rds lens? I vaguely remember a 14-54? with variable aperture 2.8 to 4. The lens was very popular and priced well below the 12-60 f2.8 pro lens.

I'm excited about this prospect. I want to think price and size will make it attractive to those (like me) that don't want to drop a grand on a heavy zoom with constant f2.8.

I alternate between the P14 and P20. Some situations spark constant lens swaps. I don't want a kit or pro zoom but a sharp enthusiast grade lens would be awesome.

Lee

Hi Lee, that's a 14-54 2.8-3.5 and a 12-60 2.8-4.0 for FT mount. I'll be glad to have an mft version of those lenses.

TetonTom

Mu-43 Regular
I love the usefull-ness of my 12-50, but wish it were a stop or 2 faster on the long end. But I won't pay for a pro 12-40. Plus, I love the Fn button, power zoom, and the pseudo-macro, which are missing from the pro model. If this is going to replace the existing 12-50, and comes in at about the original $500 price of the current 12-50, I'll get one in a heart-beat.
I should probably try and sell my current 12-50 before the used market is flooded...

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I love the usefull-ness of my 12-50, but wish it were a stop or 2 faster on the long end. But I won't pay for a pro 12-40. Plus, I love the Fn button, power zoom, and the pseudo-macro, which are missing from the pro model.

Hi,

The 12-40mm has a Fn button; and it does do psuedo-macro, although somewhat weaker than the 12-50, it can do psuedo-macro at all focal lengths.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

The 12-40mm has a Fn button; and it does do macro, although somewhat weaker than the 12-50, it can do macro at all focal lengths.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
Macro is 1:1 magnifying ratio, not the range to front lens of the objective.

So if we have a macro objective, it is required to get 17x13mm size object captured filling whole frame.

While 12-40mm has awesome close-up capabilities, it isn't macro capable. There is only the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 from Olympus to m4/3 or then you need to use extension tubes and then 12-40mm Pro is awesome.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom