1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Relay for Life - Pomona, CA

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by GaryAyala, Jun 24, 2012.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A combo fundraiser and awareness campaign sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

There was was a great atmosphere of a family picnic, laughter and fun. But every time you turned around there was a purple 'Survivor' shirt and the seemingly endless line of luminarias each in tribute to a loved one who has fallen to cancer. In essence, a bitter-sweet event.

Gary

GRA20146.
    The Relay comprised of teams and each team was to have a team member walking the track throughout the 24 hour event. This is the Luminaria procession lead by cancer survivors.

GRA20084-L.
    When nighttime fell, the Relay had a Candlelight Observance, cancer victims spoke and sang reminding all of us why we were participating.

GRA20030-L.
    My mother's Luminaria, decorated with pressed flowers from the yard. She passed three years ago from cancer.

P6230041-L.
    An eating contest was held, contestants were to make mincemeat out of watermelons.

P6230059-L.
    A young Survivor gives it his best shot. (He may have lost his hair to therapy, but for me, he's a winner.)

GRA20087-L.
    After the procession we watched a slide show of family and friends who were taken by cancer. In the background "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was playing soft and slow ... so respectful you could hear pin drop.
    GRA20088-L.

P6230018-L.

Gary

• Like Like x 11
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks for sharing this story Gary.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Joe for viewing.

G

PS- Sneaking some popcorn.
    GRA20038-L.

GRA20036-L.

• Like Like x 1
  4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I enjoyed this thread...

I also lost my momma to cancer...

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks MT, my condolences.

Gary

P6230012-L.

• Like Like x 2
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks for this thread and my condolences. I lost my mom to cancer in 2006.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Your welcome. I am sorry for your loss. The purple shirts made this gathering very sobering, but the community spirit which came together to raise money against cancer was inspirational. The team I was on also cooked for the participants. Lunch alone was more than 400 hotdogs and hamburgers, then dinner and breakfast.

Gary

GRA20103.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Gary,

Somehow I missed this thread. Very inspirational. I lost my mother last year to Pancreatic cancer at the age of 59. I'm still trying to come to grips with it, even after over a year later.

Thank you for the photos.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think a passive acceptance is the best one can do as there isn't any logic or rhyme or reasoning for why and when cancer stikes some yet not others.

My mother was taken five years ago, everyday I wish she could experience first-hand her grandchildren and great-grandchild ... she would find such pleasure in their daily activities.

[​IMG]

G

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Lovely photos Gary. There is no way to convey in words what its like being at a walk and yet you've captured it so well here. Thanks.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    My churches have a long history of supporting/participating in the Relay for Life. We've lost many friends and family members to cancer over the years and have several survivors in both congregations. Thanks for posting these.