1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Relative enjoyment of capture, postprocessing, and results?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

"Luke, you switched off your targeting computer!"

Nearly all of us enjoy some aspect of photography besides the gear/tech. For some, it's all about the final image. Doesn't matter if it comes from a video frame grab processed by a third party. 100% off the enjoyment comes from the results. Others enjoy the process of planning and executing the shot and/or hours spent in the digital darkroom.

For me, almost half the fun is getting the shot, and the other half is enjoying the result. I don't love postprocessing, but I do spend time on that to get the results I want.

I was thinking about this topic because I'm finding that the Voigtlander manual focus lenses and E-M1 give me the same pleasure as a Leica rangefinder: gear that looks and feels great, manual focus with great feel and effective focus aids, excellent and simple tactile controls, etc. The occasional misfocused shot doesn't bother me as I'm willing to sacrifice some of the results for the enjoyment of shooting this way.

Eventually the gear tech may get to the point where we can shoot on full auto and choose everything (focal plane, shutter speed, angle of view, DOF, bokeh character, etc) during postprocessing with excellent results. As we slowly take steps towards that scenario, sometimes it just feels good to indulge more in the capture process.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This is one reason why I love the option to shoot in RAW + JPEG. I split my photos into three categories: 1) bad, 2) good enough OOC, and 3) deserve and need some PP love. Bad get deleted, good enough OOC get enjoyed immediately and the rest wait until I have time to extract what I know I can get out of them. Eats up cards, especially when I'm bad about cleaning them up (deleting bad, etc.), but they're cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Very much agree, Amin - it's the one reason I'm occasionally tempted by those Voigtlanders for MFT, and the major reason I'm 99% sure I'm buying an A7r before the year is out. One of my favourite lens on my 5DII is a contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 with an adapter, precisely because of the flow and the tactile experience of it all. It means I can't really give my camera to others to take a snapshot, but even the E-M5/E-M1 are pretty terrible for that :)

I process almost all my RAW stuff using slightly tweaked DxO profiles (basically the default with a little less lighting, touch of curves, touch of sharpening), and really process the stuff that's going to get printed more carefully (sharpening depending on output size, and usually requires a different approach to preparing for web use, particularly darker images).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Amin,

I'm confused--you say it's "all about the final image" but then describe the enjoyment you get out of using the MF Voigtlander lenses, which is really about the process. Sounds likes it's a little of both (which definitely describes me too).

Me, personally--the part I enjoy most is simply getting out and looking around, which photography kicks me in the butt to do. It hones my powers of observation, allowing me to see things that I'd otherwise ignore. So even if I don't take home a single useful image, it's always time well spent.

• Like Like x 2
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I've been thinking about this a bit recently. Shooting - if it's personal stuff, or controlled lighting in studio - I love setting up, messing with manual strobes and manual camera settings and just taking my time. However, this weekend I shot a wedding, and I was immediately reminded why I stopped shooting them for a long time. Dawn to dusk non-stop slinging kilos of gear. Getting good shots is nice, but high-stress shooting scenarios are just not for me, and they take a lot of the fun out of the actual shooting. Just not wired that way, I suppose.

With the years, I've found that I've really grown to love PP work. Even back in school, taking a 101 photo class, I could easily spend an entire day in the darkroom. The time would just fly - and I find that my enjoyment of the process has translated well to Lightroom. It doesn't even have to be particularly intense or detailed work - I find even doing tiny, one-by-one edits on batches of photos brings me a lot of joy. I might even go so far as to say I enjoy the processing part of photography slightly more than even the actual shooting or the final product. Maybe not by a large margin, but definitely a noticeable one for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Tom, when I said "For some, it's all about the final image", I meant "For some [others (not me)]..." For me, it's about half and half!

7. I didn't bring a lot of photographic baggage along with me when I arrived at Micro 4/3, so for me the way these cameras work is just how a camera should work. The important thing is that they operate efficiently, because an efficient camera is a very capable camera and by extension also therefore a fun camera to use because I trust it.

As for the output, if an image is worth taking then it's worth processing, and processing is the great equaliser between brands and formats. I would rather put my mind to getting the best I could out of a camera rather than bumble around aimlessly from one system to the next and back again. You can either try to buy image quality or you can try to make it yourself.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I use Adobe Lightroom

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sure does

• Like Like x 1
  10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I love post processing. I never shoot in jpeg - only in RAW because I know I will be tweaking the image later. For me the processing is as much fun as my old darkroom days. The magic is in the darkroom or, I should say, LIGHTROOM.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

And the third half is, of course, discussing the first two halves :biggrin:.

Being a geezer I was brought up on getting the best OOC shot that I could - there's not much post processing to be done on a 25ASA slide image.

That being said, I recently picked up a copy of Elements 12 with the 'contents aware' capability and I'm having an absolute ball in erasing things from photo files. (I don't shoot much during the winter other than the obligatory 'refrigerator prints' of Christmas for the Princess of the Exchequer). I may actually spend some time this winter learning to use the software. I'm great at buying the latest/greatest version and upgrading the p.c. as needed to run the software...and really, really bad at learning to use it before I'm off to the next shiny version.

Overall I'd say that most of the enjoyment of the hobby is the day of the shoot; it's fun to talk gear and as noted I'm having a ball with the new Elements, but the actual making of the image is the "funnest" part.

Regards,

Jim

Edit: Forgot to post the link to Elements -

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6522505...=1386718824&sr=1-1&keywords=adobe+elements+12

J

• Like Like x 2
  12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I enjoy the capturing and the pp side of it all.
    Especially satisfying when you get shots where no pp or cropping needed.

PP would be more enjoyable if I had a more powerful computer.
    I avoid deleting my bad shots and am dreading the job when I finally come round to it.

13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You can look at photography in many different ways. For me, it's not just simply capturing an image. I want to do more than document, I want to create an image as interpreted through my eyes. So I do enjoy the editing process just as much as the initial capture.

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Or, in my case, I can fail on so many, many levels...:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The best part for me is the dreaming about it! For instance the family is planning a trip this summer to see Mt Rushmore and the surrounding area. So right now I am dreaming and planning for that. The actually shooting will be great but it is short lived in comparison and things often happen that make the experience less than hoped{bad weather for instance}.

I also find great enjoyment after the shots have been captured. First off simply going through the shots and reliving the experience and sharing them with others. Then I start to process those shots. For some a simple crop and slight color correction, for others a completely crazy look. Right now I use Lightroom and PS Elements on my home Mac and Snapseed and Tiffen FX on my iPad. I often edit the same picture a dozen different ways. Then comes the sharing those edited images. The fun never ends!

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin

Oh gosh how did I forget about sharing??? Sharing my work with friends and family is probably the most enjoyable aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's all sort of integrated for me. I love envisioning the shot, then setting up the camera to capture it. That's one of the reasons that I love :43: - I've been able to afford fast primes that allow me to be more creative and flexible. I shoot RAW because I enjoy tweaking the image in LR - it reminds me of darkroom work. If I get it all right then I take real satisfaction in the final product.

• Like Like x 1
  18. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Manual focus lenses are entrancing in a way AF glass can't match. This goes all the way down to the lowly C-mount Fujian lenses... They are incredibly fun to shoot, as you're always looking for ways to exploit their crazy bokeh, flaring and softness, and the tactile experience is fantastic in spite of their low cost.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Lightroom works with the GX7. I also use the suite of Nik tools, which I highly recommend.