Reintroducing the OM 500mm reflex lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jim_chung, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I lens shootout with no example images?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    I find images too subjective, the MTF curves don't lie or suppress the truth at the very least.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

But the MTF curves don't reveal the funky donut bokeh.

Brian

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I am not out to make pretty MTF curves, I am looking to make images.

Although I appreciate the effort of others to do the science to make better equipment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    True, but you can find that info in many other threads. My point was to raise awareness of this forgotten piece of good Olympus glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Not all images taken with a mirror lens will show the donut bokeh. Surely you realize that nothing in life is perfect, how we adapt and face those deficiencies is the measure of a man. The point of the article is to introduce viable alternatives to the Zuiko 300mm f/4 PRO and bring awareness to people about a Olympus lens that they may never had known existed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. In the past I have owned several 300/5.6 reflex lenses, and they were better for contrast than I had expected. Two t-mount copies, spiratone and quantaray, were quite nice on my Pentax.

9. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    I would love to see a 500mm mirror lens for MFT! Preferably with AF.

I loved the Minolta/Sony 500mm mirror lens I had with my A77. It was really hard to part with when I moved to MFT.

Did the Olympus reflex lens have AF? I'm pretty sure the Minolta/Sony was the only one with AF.

10. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have a Sigma 600mm mirror lens with an M4/3rds adapter. Gives a reddish tinge so far. Must give the glass and rear filter a clean.

11. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I owned the OM 500/8 and sold it. Bokeh made me gagging. The contrast was noticeably better than the competition at the time.

I still have a Tamron 350/5.6. Never use it though.

12. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    No AF on the Olympus lens, and you're right, only Sony made the Minolta based AF Reflex lens. Stay tuned for mega reflex lens shootout involving some rare and extraordinary lenses!!!!

13. With depth mapping and the ability to mess with bokeh however we like I wonder if these will make a return as a viable option soon.

14. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Good point! It would be great to see them return especially with AF.

15. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    During a massive craving for reach, I picked up a Tamron 500mm f/8 SP (55BB) (on Canon FD adapter) after reading:
    Mirror Lenses - how good? Tamron 500/8 SP vs Canon 500/4.5L

However, I found it too frustrating to deal with moving subjects and wound up going the Minolta 500mm f/8 Reflex AF route. I put an SLT-A57 on it permanently since the f/8 aperture only allows center point AF, anyway.

The IQ should be comparable to modern m43 cameras:
    Olympus OM-D E-M10 vs Sony SLT Alpha 57 | DxOMark

At the time, the PL100-400 wasn't available gray market yet and therefore beyond my budget.

I'll say that it's fun to capture images of little critters; the compactness and light weight of mirror lenses are great! However, I'm not getting pixel-peepable images. I'm sorely tempted to get a PL100-400 for a head-to-head comparison.

I've attached a couple of the "better" shots off the Minolta in case they help. They've been processed with DxO Optics Pro with PRIME noise reduction.
    DSC04781.

DSC04827.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    I think they look great! I'm still concerned that the reflex lenses tend to deliver softer images but theoretically they shouldn't. I believe it has to do with manufacturing and I'm hoping to prove that in my next test review.

17. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    All modern professional astronomy lenses are of the reflex type, so I guess reflex lenses can be sharp too, if carefully built. I suspect the problem is that in photography, reflex lenses are considered a less expensive alternative and therefore are built on the cheaper side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    I think you hit the nail on the head! Stay tuned for testing of the legendary Vivitar 600mm solid cat and Questar 700 telephoto lenses, amongst others. Will they finally win respect for the mirror reflex lens?

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have an Opteka 500mm in 4/3 mount, and it's biggest problem is that the focus throw is so short (and a bit stiff) that it's nearly impossible to focus accurately, even on the moon.

20. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    They look not-too-bad scaled down for the forum, but see below for the 1:1 crops.

On the SLT-A57, the Minolta 500mm f/8 Reflex AF has an EFL of 750mm. Alas, it's a film-era lens and not bitingly sharp. (Canon's on its 3rd generation telephotos to keep up with the 50mpx sensor of the 5DS!)

A sharp 300mm lens on m43 would have an EFL of 600mm, but I'm hoping the cropability would make up for that.

DSC04781-1to1-800px.

DSC04827-1to1-800px.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1