1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reindeer spotting

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Vivalo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Last night I had just finished watching a finnish movie Reindeer Spotting and was about to go to sleep. When I was putting the lights off I heard something walking in the snow behind my kitchen window. It was dark inside so it felt safe to go and see what it was. For my surprise I saw a reindeer right in front of me behind the window. It wasn't aware of me because it was darker inside than outside. There was at least four or five of them eating the grass which was visible next to the walls of my not so well insulated house. So I grabbed my Ee Pee One and OM Zuiko 50 1.4 and started to shoot the models about 3 meters away behind the glass. Now that's why you should always keep your camera available. As you can see from the data below it was quite dark outside too.

ISO 4000, 1/5 sec, 1.4
    P3046378.JPG

ISO 5000, 1/3 sec, 1.4
    P3046403.JPG

ISO 5000, 1/3 sec, 1.4
    P3046392.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

How incredibly cool!!!!

Had you seen them before out there so close? Wow, that must have been amazing, Vivalo!

3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    How amazing!

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    This is quite usual in the summer, but it is almost impossible to take picture of them so close because the sun doesn't set here up north, so they can spot people through the windows. Actually this was the first time I have spotted them eating on our yard in the winter. That's also why I freaked out a bit when I heard the walking noises behind the curtains at 1 am. Occasionally they do wander by our house but much farther away. Yesterday was a fine day overall because I saw for the first time also some very beautiful aurora borealis in the sky. Ofcourse I have seen them before during our two years living here in Lapland, but this time it was just like in the post cards! We are moving to southern Finland in two weeks so I guess yesterday was somekind of farewell to Lapland. :rolleyes:

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I have to add that I was surprised they didn't spot me because of the glowing screen of my e-p1. An EVF would have been appropriate, but as you know, you just have to use the screen with the e-p1.

6. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Wow! Very cool!