1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Regretted Reducing Lens Inventory?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tjdean01, Nov 7, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    If you read my signature you'll see that I've only bought the high performance lenses that come at a value price. I don't have a lot of money to throw at it. But, I have a lot more lenses than are listed down there and I'm thinking of unloading some. Let's face it, price vs size vs quality there are hardly any m4/3s lenses that are worthless (except some of the 14-42s because the P14-42 mkII is better, smaller, and the same price). So, when I say I want to sell something, it doesn't mean it isn't useless, just that with other lenses, it doesn't get much use.

For example, the Sigma 30 is a terrific lens. I hear it's the fastest focusing m4/3s lens and one of the sharpest. It's definitely one of the best deals out there. I got mine new for $130 and could easily sell it for that. I feel like if I sell it I will want it back some day; for some reason. Now all I use it for is taking ebay shots; which I will stop doing when I buy the 20 again (when I want a long normal I use the Vivitar 28/2 because it's just as sharp and a stop faster than the 30). Then there's the 11mm wide angle converter for the 14. This set up is outperformed by the Samyang fisheye after defishing. I don't need it at all; but I paid under $100. Then there's the 14 itself. Great value lens, but the 12-32 is just as small, sharper, less distortion, and wider. But then you think, wait, the 12-32 is 1 stop slower at 14mm (but when I pop the aforementioned 28/2 on the Sony A7 the 14/2.5 is thoroughly beat [but the 14 is sooo tiny!])

Anyway, have you sold any lenses that you regretted getting rid of?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I sold off all of my M mount Leica, Voigtlander and Minolta lenses, as well as some 4/3 stuff, which were hardly being used and I've never really regretted doing so. I have a Nikon 300mm f4 which I'm not sure what to do with and some Minolta lenses still hanging around, which aren't really aren't worth much, so there's no point in putting them on eBay. My main issue is that I have no real interest anymore in manual focus lenses, as I find them just too difficult to use.

3. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I sold off enough manual lenses to purchase an oly 12-40 f2.8. Haven't regretted the choice for a second. Now I need to figure out what to sell to get a 40-150f2.8!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I sold off a few lenses in my short time in photography. Including the lovely voigtlander primes.

Never felt better with my current lean setup. It allows me to focus on getting the shot and not thinking of the gear.

But thats just me.

Posted from my lovely Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm currently that thinking of unloading the p14/p20 and o12-40 and o40-150R that don't get a lot of use right now. I mostly run the o17/o45 with two bodies or p25 or o17 when I have the one body. I keep thinking that I'll miss them if I sell them but I hardly use them much.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only two things photo related that I ever regretted.

Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50
    Epson R-D1

I have no regrets selling any of the other stuff from my collection nor my entire Canon EF system.

7. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I had an Oly 9-18mm. I bought to take some pictures of my in-laws house when they listed the house for sale and I used it sparingly for landscapes. I sold it because I didn't feel right having ~$400 worth of lens parked in my bag most of the time.

I regret it now!

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The only lens I ever regretted selling was the 14mm f2.5, so I bought another one

9. usayit

Do you guys regret any purchases?

So I badly wanted to get back to using my collection of K-mount / M42 lenses with a digital body that can work them in the same way that K mount film bodies. I got tired of waiting for Pentax to release a FF body, so I ended up buying a used Pentax K10D. It had a "crippled Kmount" that still had its aperture linkage... great! It had a pentaprism viewfinder.... great! Why not?

Darn thing can't meter worth crap when used with K-mounts M lenses... even if set to stop down meter. It under exposes at one end of the aperture range and over exposes at the other. I ended up using a Voigtlander shoe mount meter (originally used with my meterless rangefinders) with it or simply eyed the exposure. Oh well.... Still have it with its two kit lenses collecting dust. At this point, I am keeping it just in case my elder son decides to show interest. I'm still tempted to try out the newer Pentax models but the last time I checked when the K20D was released, it was still an issue.

I wouldn't mind a digital version of a K1000 or LX.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This is why I buy carefully selected 2nd hand gear - so if I find I am not using it, I can sell if for nearly what I paid for it, or better. I've bought several lenses I found myself not using, and I've pretty much recouped my entire investment in them when I sold them.

11. usayit

Never been a problem...

I generally buy at either end of the life cycle in which the value of the item is at its peak (new) or at its bottom (2 year + used). Mostly at the bottom. Its really no different from other purchase decision. Market value is also not linear.... depends on the item, target market, and other events (release of new versions in the same model line). In a few cases, I sold for higher (Leica related items).

For the most part, its the time and effort to resell that bothers me more than the value. More so now since I no longer deal with the resale of stuff and I'm not setup to extract as much profit from doing so. (the life cycle for digital photography is so short its not really profitable for the small guy).

My most recent purchases were the 2 E-PL1s. Both for under $80.

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for the info, guys. Selling m4/3s gear shouldn't be a regret because I can always rebuy new if I have to. Like the native Tokina 300/6.3. The lens is garbage and I'll never use it. It never gets sharp. Maybe that's why the guy sold it? My Konica 200/4 is much, much better--and worth only like $50. I can always get a 14 or a 30 again if I need to. And I have good copies but if I rebuy new I should have a 90% chance of getting a good copy.

Regarding older lenses it's a bit different because they're harder to replace. Luckily I haven't paid too much for them, but since I like Vivitar I'm always thinking: I want this lens in OM mount, but I have it in PK mount, etc. It makes me want to get them all in the same mount but I need to stop being OCD about that because some lenses like the FD 85/1.8 I'm planning to buy only come in one mount. Speaking of 85, I have TWO brand new Samyang 85/1.4s in different mounts. I put it on the camera, too heavy, never touched it again. The other one I didn't open the box. The 85/1.8 will mostly be used on the A7.

Some lenses are so similar but there is a reason to have all of them: Konica 135/3.5 - small diameter, short, built-in hood, a joy to use; $35 $60 Konica 135/3.2 - bigger, but 1 meter close focus; $40 Pentax 135/3.5 - smaller than both Konicas for when I need it light; $25 Vivitar 135/2.8 - not as nice but does give more bokeh with a speedbooster; $100 Vivitar 135/2.8 macro - big and heavy but does almost 1:1 macro. Keeping most of those won't break the bank, but you see how it can be easy to hoard.

Like the Konica 55/3.5 macro. F3.5 is too slow and requires extension tube for macro. I don't want to deal with all that. But it's, sharp and mint! Still, this has to go. And the 30 will be gone. And some other adapted lenses that I have in multiple mounts (yes, I shouldn't have bought them). I have Pentax 50/1.7 both A and M. A is worth more because it AFs on Pentax bodies. M is nicer IMO. Why am I still holding on to the A? The Panasonic 11mm wide angle converter is going. I have the 12-32 but the 14-42 is hard to let go of for some reason. The reach? The lightweightness? The great colors it produces? I don't know. The 14 is also hard to say bye to. That might be different but I returned both of my defective 20s and have prolonged buying a new mkII version.

I think part of the problem is that ebaying those lenses is such a process that at first you dread it; then after taking those nice closeup shots you get attached emotionally to the gear. Tokina $300, 2 Samyang 85s, Konica 55, 30, 11mm wide, Pentax 50 A, Minolta 135/2.8 macro....selling those should get me around $750 to get all three: 20, 45, & 85/1.8. That should motivate me!

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Sigma 30mm is a killer lens. I use it with the 14mm as my "city travel kit". I think it is as sharp as my Tamron 90 or 300 afs for my Nikons. I also find the GWC1/14mm a better travel setup than a FE (but that's me). 10 years ago I bought 4 lens with my D70 (12-24, 24-85, 80-200, 300) and have only added two since then (the Tamron 90 for macro and a Sigma 18-250mm for video which I wasn't doing with D70). If I decided to go "all in" with the OMD 5 II I'll add another four lenses but would probably sell my Nikon stuff if I do that. I find that more than 6 lenses and two bodies gets in the way of me taking images. So for me, if I have lenses that sit for say more than a year, I probably don't need it unless its a very special purpose lens. Its way to easy to become a gear collector in this hobby:smile:

14. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    When I get to the point that I'm either not using a lens enough to justify keeping it, or dislike it enough to want to replace it with another lens, that generally means I have a pretty good reason to sell if. So far, lenses that I've sold I've had very little desire to buy again. I sold it for a reason.

Me personally, I really try not to keep "rainy day" lenses, or lenses that I almost never use but maybe one day might find a purpose for. If a specific situation presents itself, I can always buy that lens then.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only time I regret selling lenses is for hard to replace gear. Some of the lenses I missed were a c-mount Cosmicar 75mm 1.4 when stopped down to 2.8 was a freaking razor in the center. I only sold it because it was a pain to manual focus, but looking back at it I should of just kept it just because it had such a great look. I also regret selling a Nikon 50mm 1.4 factory Ai'D lens that was just a beauty due to it's vintage and condition. Other than that I don't really sweat the new stuff, because you can always find a deal if you look hard enough.

Though I'm really a basket case when it comes to gear because I'm currently on my 6th 14mm 2.5, 5th 20mm 1.7 and 3rd Sigma 60mm! :tongue:

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The only lens I regret buying is the Vivitar Series 1 600mm catadioptric, it turned out to be a fairly poor lens compared to even the cheapest lens I've owned.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The only M43 lens I regret is the Oly 40-150 R I got to use until the Pro version arrives. The good news is I only paid $130 for it. It hits the resell market as soon as the Pro model arrives.

18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I shouldn't have bought the 14-42mm as I never used it once after getting the 12-40mm Pro.

My E-M1 works fine with my dad's Pentax m42 lenses; some of the m42->mu43 adapters have a removable inner flange; once removed, the Manual-Auto switch on the lens works and you can focus (manually) with it open, and move the switch back after to return to the stopped-down position.

I ended up selling most of the Pentax stuff already as they aren't nearly as sharp as the mu43 & 4/3 glass I have. The SMC macro is pretty sharp, but I already have a 4/3 Oly macro lens.

Barry

19. usayit

Yup... My entire collection of M42 are Takumars they have the m-a switch (not all M42 of other makes do) so I made sure all of my adapters don't have the inner flange. I also use K-mount adapters with aperture mechanism to engage the aperture linkage in K-mount lenses. I have similar set of adapters for Sony A7R which is nice since it is a full frame body.

Its not quite the same as shooting with something that has full compatibility with the lenses and not quite the same on a crop 2x sensor... hey.. can't have everything. At the time, I purchased the K10D used the micro 4/3rds system wasn't yet...

Oddly enough the Samsung GX-1L, a copy of the Pentax *ist, did meter fairly well but had a penta-mirror viewfinder which wasn't bright enough. It broke when I dropped it which prompted me to look for something better.

20. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Since getting the 12-40, I've not regretted selling any other lenses... with the exception of the 7.5mm fisheye. The fisheye has never been my most used lens, but when you need to go wide nothing else comes close!

I've bought and sold three 7.5mm, and I think a fourth copy will be in order asap!

• Like Like x 1