Regardless the price, any other reasons for choosing 45mm over 75mm

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
75mm is too long for me, 60mm is better, 45mm is perfect. I like the reaction you get when taking portraits with the 45mm

WasOM3user

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
That for me would be the handling. On the OMD or EPL-3's we have it's so quick to use you can grab candids that you would possibly miss with a zoom and the image quality is not exactly "shabby" either:)

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I really like the 45 FL. I tried walking around with my 40 - 150 set at 75 and I felt uncomfortable taking pictures. Despite the really wonderful, sharp pictures that 75 owners have posted, the FL is not for me.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
They should be compliments to each other, not substitutes. It all depends on what your needs are. The 45 is definitely more versatile to have if you don't shoot portraits often. The 75mm is a beautiful lens but spending $900 on a lens for casual snaps on occasion is silly.

If you only want one, get the 45.

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Both are too long for me, when I have kit lens on, I tend to take most shots at the wide end.
90% of my shots are at 14mm and maybe 2% at 45mm or longer

supermaxv

Mu-43 Veteran
Because they're completely different lenses with completely different focal lengths and rendering? Are there any reasons to choose a muffin over a steak?

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
I have both in my bag. I'm not a huge fan of the 45mm, never have been. But I end up needing the FL very often for what I shoot. The 75mm is on my camera a lot of the time, which ends up forcing you to work with it and always be stepping back a bit further. To me there are some special qualities of the 75mm that the 45mm just doesn't have. I take far more portraits with the 75mm or up close with the 17/25. Everyone has their own style so it's really a decision left to you.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime
Sorry my ignorance, but what does "FL" translate for?
I know it is related with the focal distance, but I don't see what the "L" means...

Photodan1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
Working distance. In a studio setting the 45 is sometimes tight. I haven't shot with the 75 and it sounds crazy good, but for studio, I can't imagine it working in a small studio setting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom