Regarding to Voigtlander f/0.95 fast lense

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MavRax, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

I'm thinking about investing a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lense (been saving up), and I know this is manual. My concern is, would it be a pain to adjust the focusing if I were to take night shots? I own an EP-2, and bought a panny 20mm f1.7 which works great in low light. On my panny, if I select my settings to manual focus, the camera automatically crops (digitally zoomed) to the subject just so I can focus it either from my EVF, or from the screen.

Now that I want to explore the Voightlander, being that it's a manual lens with no electronic contact, I'm afraid that it will be hard to focus on to the details of the subject and my EP-2 will not digitally zoom in to the subjects. Also, night shots I can imagine would be a bigger issue whether I'm using the LCD screen or EVF. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should not invest on this? Most likely, I'll spend 70% of the time for shooting at night. Please let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks in advance!

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can bring up the digital zoom view on the EP-2 manually. I don't have one but I was doing exactly that at the camera store when comparing the EP-2 and the EPL-1 (E-PL1 has a dedicated button).
  3. DumplinkNet

DumplinkNet Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2011
    Here's my take on the cv 25/.95
    The lens is super fast! And I mean very, very fast!
    In a dark room when it's practically pitch black, a tiny creak of light from under a door is enough for this lens to show you the entire room on your 4/3's screen.
    And I don't mean that by exaggeration. I've used that lens before and I am speaking from experience.
    Focusing is complete manual and since you're looking through the lens, you see exactly what your final image will look like.

If you plan to shoot it wide open (of course, because thats the whole purpose of this lens right?) prepare to be focusing on razor /paper thin sharp spots.
    I thought "razor sharp and paper thin" was just a term over used by others, but I was more shocked when I found out how true it was.
    Most people don't know how difficult it is to use this lens because less than maybe 10% of the world has never used a lens faster than f/1.0

Using the digital magnification on your 4/3 body would definitely help! And since your current Olympus has IS, that would definitely help!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks for the input! I'm planning to get two types of lenses in about a month: the Voigtlander f/0.95, and either the panasonic 7-14mm or olympus 9-18mm. My next post would be which ultra wide angle should I get.
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search - there are a number of threads on this already, no reason to start another one.
  6. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, sorry... I searched and read through a couple of forums here. I think I'll end up getting the 7-14mm even though it lacks the threads for a filter.