Regarding Olympus Pro Lens Packaging

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by retiredfromlife, Sep 15, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Picked up my Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro today and was surprised at the packaging.
    Not one bit of padding. Just some cardboard to keep it centered and not moving in the box, and wrapped in plastic. The plastic was bubble wrap but so thin it would not have provided any padding.

Most things I buy these days are over packaged to avoid damage so I was very surprised to see a delicate lens with no padding at all. I would be really hesitant to purchase an Olympus lens from overseas after seeing this.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Packaging is generally designed by engineers, and in this case the cardboard probably functions in the same manner as the "crumple zones" in a car. This may not be obvious to the casual observer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Could be but there was hardly any distance between the lens barrel and the outside of the box cardboard thickness only .The ends had some spacers only. Around the barrel not protected.

4. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Not wishing to state the obvious, but was it definitely the original Olympus packaging? There are a lot of 12-40s on sale at the moment which are from "split kits", where the dealer buys a bunch of E-M1 + 12-40 kits, and sells the bodies and lenses separately at a profit. It's perfectly legal, provided they tell the customer about it, but the packaging for the lens will be supplied by the dealer, not Olympus, because the lens has been removed from its original box.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    This sounds like split kit or refurb packaging. This is not in line with retail packaging.
  6. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Must be refurb packaging as both the 8/1.8 and 40-150/2.8 I bought came in ridiculously huge boxes when I bought them; I'm talking boxes 10x (or more) the lens volume. Whereas the standard and premium lenses have packaging 2-3x the volume.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Definitely Olympus packaging, serial and logo on the box.

Could be part of a kit that was originally in a bigger box. That would explain it.
    Was sold as new as certainly looks new. [hope it is new]

The shop is not currently stocking the EM1, so it could be from the EM1-kits they used to sell. Other shops are listing the EM1 plus 12-40 & 40-150 pro lenses for a good price at the moment.

8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    I'm not sure if it's split kit but that is roughly the same kind of packaging as I got when I received it this morning in the mail. I just looked up an unboxing of the lens, link here:

That's basically the packaging I got. Same as yours? Please advise.
  9. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Yes that is the same box as mine, but the inside folded up cardboard was not as neat. Wonder if the shop had unpacked it to show someone and not put it back correctly. At the top of the box the cardboard was lying flat on the lens so the lens was basically touching the outside of the packaging. where it folds under it looked the same just not as neat.

But it all seems to be working, but I had to put mine away for a week till the birthday, just took a few pictures to see if it works. Going to be a long week, don't like the kit lens now.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    And they must have it right considering the thousands of miles/kilometers these lenses travel by truck, train, plane, and ship to arrive in our possession.

Happy Birthday!
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016