1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Refurbs...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I want to buy an E-P3. Cameta and Olympus have refurbs with the 17mm for about $579.00. Cosmetic flaws drive me nuts. I can literally use a camera for years and pack it up for sale as "like new".

Has anyone here bought an Oly refurb from a company or from Oly? Specifically Oly stuff here please. I've bought refurbs from Nikon before and know the stuff is always perfect.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've had Oly refurbs. No problem.

3. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bought an EP1 - I think from Newegg that had scratches all over the bottom The rest was okay but I was disappointed.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    E-PL2 refurb from Oly; looks brand new. Also XZ-1 from Outlet, an amazon.com affiliate; also unmarked.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I found a thread on dpreview on Cameta's refurbs, I think I'm comfortable with them.

...unless someone here is selling.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've purchased lots of returns on a variety of products, including camera gear - some from Olympus. Never had a bit of trouble.

7. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Got a refurb epm1 from cameta. Body was perfect, but the flash attachment had a slight scratch.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So with refurbs, what kind of actual shutter counts are there already on these when they arrive at your door?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Usually the stuff appears as new (all 3 Olympus Cameta refurbs I've gotten), but occasionally it doesn't. I'd double-check the return policy, and see if it'll work for you.

DH

10. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Mine had somewhere on the 500 - 700 range, I think.

11. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I bought my silver E-P3 +14-42 lens from Cameta refurbished. I had my doubts initially, but once it arrived and I inspected it, and shot with it, I was completely satisfied. Physically it was perfect. No dings, dents, scuffs, scratches, anything, it was literally like new. It has performed perfectly. From the right company, like Cameta, Adorama, B&H, etc, I would feel confident purchasing a refurb.

12. bennetnumber1

bennetnumber1  

Feb 29, 2012
    One my refurb's from Cameta was mint and had a shutter count of 76. I've bought about three refurbs from cameta in the last two months (just to have them), and not one had a shutter count over 150. E-PL1,E-PM1,E-PL2.

13. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Bought my first :43:, an E-P1, refurbed from Olympus via Cameta, and have had no problems in the 18 months I've owned it. I have since bought a refurbed Oly 45mm 1.8 from the Olympus site, with no issues as well.

14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    There is always a possibility that something will be wrong with a refurb ... but that same possibility exists with a brand new camera. In fact, I personally feel better about buying refurbished products because it means an individual worker was responsible for examining that particular product and made sure it was in perfect working order before boxing it up and shipping it out.

When products are new on the assembly lines the workers just care about completing X number of units before the end of a shift. Every now and again a random unit is pulled out from the line for quality assurance but the overwhelming majority of electronics on the line don't undergo in-depth testing. Manufacturers just assume that if unit 112 worked perfectly and unit 418 worked perfectly then units 113 through 417 must have also been perfect. :(

I've bought many digital cameras over the last decade and I've had three "new" cameras (one Nikon, one Fujifilm, and one Pentax) that had to be set back to the manufacturer for service because of manufacturing problems. I've had ZERO refurbished cameras that had to be sent back for service and I've probably purchased as many refurbs as new over the last 5-6 years (including two manufacturer refurbished Olympus cameras and two manufacturer refurbished Olympus lenses).

• Like Like x 1
  15. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Direct from Oly: XZ-1

Cameta: 40-150, 3 X E-PL1 (gifts) w 14-42, E-PM1 with 14-42 (for me)

Other than the type of box and packaging, the cameras and lenses look like brand new kits. The E-PL1 chargers had a few minor scratches on the side/bottom but you had to be looking to find them.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've bought several Cameta refurbs, and they all looked and performed as new. I don't know that they quarantee the looks, but that has been my experience with them -- both lenses and bodies.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The last refurb I got from Cameta was a D3100 with a shutter count of 0 and spotless.

18. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I bought a brand new Olympus camera from amazon (direct, not a marketplace/third party seller) and the shutter count was 147. I just assumed this was due to factory testing or whatever. Does this mean they sold me a customer return as a new product? The box was not sealed (which I thought a bit odd - all previous cameras I have purchased have come in factory sealed boxes) but everything inside looked brand new (plastic film still on lcd and lens etc). Do Olympus normally factory seal their boxes?

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've had no issues with a few Cameta refurbs, though I'm not sure if their 30 day refund policy applies.

Bigger issue SRHEdD is that the 17/2.8 kits are out of stock.

20. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I purchased my E-PL1 kit from Cameta and it was a factory demo. It looked almost new when I received it. My only small complaint was that it had almost 3000 shots taken. I'd buy another demo/refurb from them with no reservations.