1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Refurbished

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Cameta has the Oly 60 macro for $399, is it worth saving $100, or should I wait for a sale?

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I haven't had any refurbished Oly stuff, but I've had plenty of refurb'd Canon gear and all of it worked perfectly fine. Sometimes they call it "refurbished" for a damaged box or other superficial reasons...there was absolutely NO WAY to tell the refurb'd stuff apart from the "brand new" other than the price tag, the cameras still had the protectors on the LCDs, etc. If nothing else, you know the factory went through it one more time. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely agree. I have never had an issue with any returned item. Go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You can buy it direct from Olympus for $359.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Wow, thanks

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, it's true that Olympus will sell you a refurbished 60mm macro for $359, when it's in stock, which it is not as I type this:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/out...digital-ed-60mm-f2-8-macro-reconditioned.html

But I have purchased three refurbished Olympus lenses from Cameta. All looked and worked as if they were brand new and all came with a full one-year warranty from Cameta as opposed to a 90-day warranty from Oly. And I have never had a problem with anything I have purchased from Cameta.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Very interesting (says he doing his best Artie Johnson imitation). The specific lens page shows it out of stock, but the general lens page showing all of their refurbished lenses does not indicate that. Sorry to have had folks be mislead.

--Ken

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, but Olympus charges sales tax + $5 shipping. If you are anywhere other than New York where sales tax is charged (Cameta also has to charge tax in New York) it ends up being pretty close to a wash.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have bought several Olympus bodes and lenses that were refurbished and had zero problems. They do come with a short warranty plus you can get a longer one if you want to pay for it. I never buy new at full retail! I buy refurb, used or super sales only.

10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I love refurb gear, nearly every body I own has been a refurb. Most lenses are purchased new.

IMO it depends on what you are buying. Basic kits and kit lenses are great when purchased as a refurb. 9 times out of 10 it's a customer return for whatever reason. Enthusiast grade lenses are another story, they are likely returned not because of a change of heart, but because they are soft or misaligned. Chances are those go right through refurb QC and back out.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've not experienced that with refurb lenses. I am also an advocate of getting manufacturer refurbished gear wherever possible - but my take is, lenses get returned due to unreasonable expectations of the buyer or buyer's remorse more than anything. Now if the lens REALLY is defective or soft, I'd return that as well, within the initial exchange period - but that's never happened for me but once. Every refurb lens I've ever bought has been as good as brand new - except one, that was clearly misaligned and I returned it for a full refund. But that's also happened to me once with a brand new lens as well. It can happen in either case, a small percentage of the time, and IMHO, that percentage is well below the percentage of money one saves buying refurbs rather than new.

12. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    It's almost the same price here in EU.

Olympus Store: € 529,00

/end of irony

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    We (EU M43 folks) should organize a trip to the states. Buy everything we can get our hands on and flood the EU market with cheap M43 goodies...

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    i've got a refurbed M4/3 9-18 zoom and a 4/3 35mm macro. While glass is forever and motors burn out, I'm sure these will last a long time.

The shutter on my refurbed EPM1 went flakey at 9 months, but I didn't realize it until well after the 12 month warranty expired. It still works below 1/2000. That hasn't stopped me from getting another refurbished PEN.