Refurbished Olympus 75mm f/1.8's for $695

BAPHA

Mu-43 Regular
All gone now. Whoever picked one up tonight, could report how the autofocus is on those refurb units (noisy etc)?

Y2K

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Yefim
Mine arrived today. As new condition and looks direct from the factory with a seal and all. Took some test shots indoors, and shot with it for about 2 hours outside while kids went snow tubing. I don't hear any noise that was mentioned at all and no unwanted full-time focusing. There is some aperture chatter when switching from bright scene to dark scene but it is expected and my other lenses do that as well. I think people may be confusing aperture changes with auto-focusing. When you point to brighter scene your aperture stops down resulting in more DOF, which may appear as the lens is auto-focusing when in fact more objects appear in focus just because of DOF increase. The only noise I am hearing is the usual IBIS noise and nothing else.

I absolutely love this lens and now I understand why people say it is worth the full price. I really think it is better than a few Canon L lenses I used to have. Again, thank you MAubrey for starting the thread and NashBill for bumping it when more showed up!

All gone now. Whoever picked one up tonight, could report how the autofocus is on those refurb units (noisy etc)?
Received mine yesterday and used it today exclusively during a concert with acoustic instruments. Autofocus was very fast and I heard no noises. Relatively small and light. I was very impresssed with the pictures - I can see why everyone has been so enthusiastic about this lens. The only thing I don't like is the silver finish - it makes taking pictures much more conspicuous.

BAPHA

Mu-43 Regular
I guess you guys have no consideration for $700 of my hard earned cash which now I must promptly spend on this lens next time it becomes available :)
Kidding aside though, thank you for your feedback, appreciate it!

rwhillman

New to Mu-43
I'm the one who reported the odd noises earlier in this thread. On further investigation, I see there are quite a few web reports describing this as a "rattlesnake" sound associated with the lens. Sometimes called aperture rattle or chatter. The odd thing is that it can happen when you are not taking pictures but simply move the camera so it points from dim to bright light, or vice versa. But it is very random and often does not happen at all. Some people say it is is worse in outdoor lighting and can't be duplicated indoors. That is my experience. It seems to be worse on some cameras, with the EM5 one of the prime offenders (that's my only camera so I can't verify). Other lenses may rattle as well, but not so loudly.

Bottom line is that this seems to make some of these 75s a little idiosyncratic, but it is a small annoyance rather than a signal of some serious problem. Sort of a lens with a personality. I agree with everyone who has stated that the lens produces stunning pictures.

kavu

Mu-43 Rookie
Just to chime in that mine arrived yesterday as well. Also seemed sealed from the factory (with a sticker). Lens appears in great shape, no chatter yet. Took some indoors photos and a few outdoors. Wow. This lens is seriously sharp and has a really nice rendition. Has a special feel to it that is reminding me a bit of my old CZ 85mm f1.4 on the Sony system.

If you are on the fence...pry open the wallet for this one. Definitely a keeper.

Y2K

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Yefim
What is a recommended hood for this lens? I read that the OEM as well as the Rainbowimaging/JJC one leave a mark because of the way they attach to the lens via the tension spring inside. Any alternatives?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom