Refurbished EM1 and EM5 II for $575.00 + tax after coupon CYBER20 at GetOlympus

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Generally, I'd be delighted to use these exact copies if restored to full working order and with a fully cleaned sensor. However, I'd prefer to not start from a bad point with both items if the servicing is likely to only lead to partial fixes and/or increase the risk of future issues. Is it possible to clean a fingerprint from a sensor without any negative repercussions to long term image quality? Any thoughts about what y'all would do?
I consider a sensor clean on an OMD floating sensor trivial. I've run a wet clean on my EM5 three times since I bought it in 2012. I'd be cleaning it myself, but since you're sending the camera back anyway, have it done. The techs will also do their full check up. I tossed my work sheet from my last reoair, but I believe they check shutter speeds, etc, and you will get the latest firmware update.

As for the 75mm, when will we ever see it it for $470 again. Answer - Black Friday 2016!. I'd get that fixed too.

Real Name
Hal
@Hal Knowles I would keep the EM5-II just get the sensor cleaned or do it yourself, this is no big deal. A lens not registering is a big deal! But I would send them both back anyway since they'll fix or clean the EM5 while they're at it.
Thanks InlawBiker! I'm leaning toward definitely returning the camera body as I can make do without it. But I'm still torn about what to do on the lens. I may ask them once again about my options (beyond getting the DOA lens repaired).

Real Name
Hal
I consider a sensor clean on an OMD floating sensor trivial. I've run a wet clean on my EM5 three times since I bought it in 2012. I'd be cleaning it myself, but since you're sending the camera back anyway, have it done. The techs will also do their full check up. I tossed my work sheet from my last reoair, but I believe they check shutter speeds, etc, and you will get the latest firmware update.

As for the 75mm, when will we ever see it it for $470 again. Answer - Black Friday 2016!. I'd get that fixed too.
Thanks HarryS! Indeed, that was a crazy sale on the 75mm. I was sad to part ways with my Signma 60mm as it is a truly stellar little lens. But a 75mm for about half off the MSRP from its original release is a just too good to pass up.

On your previous wet cleans on your E-M5, did you feel like the cleaning process left any residue and/or affected the IBIS in any way? On interesting thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that Olympus said the body and lens would come back from their service center with a 6 month warranty (vs. the normal 90 day warranty for refurbs). So there is a small benefit on the warranty side for getting them serviced.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On your previous wet cleans on your E-M5, did you feel like the cleaning process left any residue and/or affected the IBIS in any way?
No.

Here's a post where a poster's spouse just went ahead and used a lens wipe on his EM5 sensor , leaving him aghast, but the OMD survived.
OMD: Wife smudged sensor and cleaned it with an alcohol wipe for lenses.

Anyway, your camera will be cleaned by Olynpus or their contracted service techs. So if there is some magic involved that the home user cannot access, you know the right people are using it.

jmlivingston

New to Mu-43
Real Name
John Livingston
Just got my E-M5 II yesterday, had v.1 firmware on it and upgrading it right now. Checked out the service menu and found 617 shutter activations, 1 with the flash attached, and a blank damage screen. Exterior is pristine, no marks anywhere that I could find. Can't wait to get it out later today and take a few shots with it :)

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Just got my E-M5 II yesterday, had v.1 firmware on it and upgrading it right now. Checked out the service menu and found 617 shutter activations, 1 with the flash attached, and a blank damage screen. Exterior is pristine, no marks anywhere that I could find. Can't wait to get it out later today and take a few shots with it :)
It's a hefty little beast. It only weighs an oz less less than the E-M1

Real Name
Hal
Agreed, the E-M5 II is deceptively heavy (but in all the right ways). Thanks again to everyone for giving me feedback about my refurb defect dilemma. After working with Olympus yesterday, I've decided to return/refund my E-M5 II with the blemished sensor and they are going to exchange my 75mm without me having to send it in for repair. I already have m4/3 bodies, but I couldn't bear to return/refund the 75mm given the insanely low $474 price (total shipped with taxes).

My personal experience with the customer support at the US Olympus Store has been truly fantastic. They've been very accommodating to my needs and I'm happy to continue giving both Olympus and Panasonic my business. It's all been just another compelling reason why I believe m4/3 is the perfect ecosystem for my needs. I've bought multiple refurbs from Olympus and Ricoh and this was my first experience where I had to send something back.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom