Refurbished E-M1 issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Price, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Dave Price

Dave Price New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2015
    Hey guys,

I picked up a refurbed E-M1 during the recent Cyber Monday sale; opened everything up, all seemed fine, loved the build quality, handling etc. plus the body looked spotless. So all good...erm not really. I charged the battery, attached a lens, stuck in an sd card and the camera will not focus using s-af, the shutter also refuses to take a photo. It gets weirder, set to MF the shutter will release, but when I turn the focussing ring the image in the viewfinder doesn't change - I have peaking on but nothing is outlined in the viewfinder. Finally...if I set to c-af, then the shutter will release, but the image is out of focus i.e. the af isn't operating.

I am hopeful that I am an idiot and missed something in the setup, but when I read back what I've written I am doubtful.

On the Olympus website it states that a refurbished product will operate exactly the same as a new one...hmmm. Surely they wouldn't ship such a camera without checking the autofocus was operating?

Any thoughts are very welcome

Thanks

David

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Try another lens? Sounds like miscommunication between body and lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Send it back for service. The term Oly service uses is ironically a "REDO". I laughed when I saw that.

4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    RE: release of the shutter, the behavior you described seems consistent with "Release priority S = OFF, Release priority C = ON." The former will not release the shutter until focus is acquired (in single-focus mode), the latter WILL release the shutter even before focus is acquired (in continuous-focus mode).

Which lens are you using? Do you have another to try? The issue could be with the lens and not the camera.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Do you have the 12-40 lens with the focus clutch on the lens in the wrong position???
    Push the focus ring forwards towards the end of the camera.

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I took advantage of the same sale and had a similar issue. I had jumped in and started customizing things, getting to a point where pressing the shutter release would not even fire the shutter. Before I got there, I was at a point where autofocus wasn't working. I went back in and "Reset" everything to factory defaults and all was well. I am being a bit more methodical in changing settings from the default and haven't had a recurrence. I wonder if your unit came out of refurbishing with something set wrong. You might try a reset just to be sure.

7. Dave Price

Dave Price New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2015

8. Dave Price

Dave Price New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks all; tried a couple of lenses, didn't make a difference. How do you do a complete reset; I think that I tried that last night when digging through the menus, but not sure

9. Dave Price

Dave Price New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2015
    Yay! Success! I did a full reset (thanks Jfrader), then tried a different lens (Oly 40-150mm) and hey presto :eek:) It still refuses to work on the original lens (an old Panny 14-42mm that came with a Panny GH2). Hopefully all is well with the lens mount on the E-M1.

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    You can find Reset instructions on pg. 79 of the manual.

Restoring default settings (Reset/Myset)

Camera settings can be easily restored to registered settings.

Using reset settings

Restore default settings.

1. 1 Select [Reset/Myset] in W Shooting Menu 1.

2. 2 Select [Reset] and press Q.
    • Highlight [Reset] and press I to choose the reset type.

To reset all settings except the time, date, and a few others, highlight [Full] and press Q.
    g “Menu directory” (P. 146)

3 Select [Yes] and press Q.