Refurbed 75-300mm from Olympus. Long lens, short rant.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yesterday I received a "refurbed" 75-300mm Mk I lens from Olympus. I expect it to plug a hole in my kit, the 45-200mm having proved a bit short for use at the local zoo.

I've purchased "refurbed" lenses before (mostly Nikon) and I have never received one in quite a soiled condition as the one received from Olympus :eek:.

It appears to be fine in performance (although more testing will be done on Sunday if the weather clears a bit) but the lens had the previous owner's initials in black permanent marker still on the metal lens mount. There was also considerable crud in the grooves in the barrel of the body.

Ten minutes with Goo Gone and some monitor cleaner and a rag made the lens shine like new - but I think the Olympus tech who "refurbed" the unit should have done that before putting it in the box.

Assuming that the optics work (and so far they look good) the lens will be a keeper - but it would kill Olympus to maybe buy a bottle of Goo Gone? :biggrin:

Glad to get the lens, but sad to see Olympus let one slide through like this.

Rant off.

Regards,

Jim

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Google the previous owner and ask them why they returned it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    You mean the 75-100mm?

The 100-300mm is from Panasonic.

And yeah if it was a certified refurb from Olympus, then shame on them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Its funny, the worst Oly refurb stuff seems to come from Olympus themselves. The stuff I've gotten from Cameta has been pristine.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have received OLY refurbs from Cameta that looked brand new.

The one OLY refurbished product I did buy directly from Olympus was packaged by someone with no concern for the equipment or the buyer. A 15 year old selling on Ebay would have more sense and do better packaging than the OLY refurb packer that sent me the product. It was loose in the box. Who would do that with expensive electronic/optical stuff?? It still worked but they were good on the phone and took care of getting me another one because I was not comfortable with the first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeah, I was so mad I typed wrong :biggrin:.

Thanks for pointing it out - might confuse a few folks; it was the 75-300.

Regards,

Jim

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Thom!

Goo Gone worked really well and the name is invisible now :thumbup:.

Although if I were part of a camera club and loaned lenses and such, putting the name on the mount isn't all that bad an idea - much quicker to identify than checking serial numbers.

(I don't belong to any clubs (I wouldn't care to join one that would have me as a member) so I'll forgo putting my name on the mount).

Regards,

Jim

8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, and I've had good experiences with B&H too :2thumbs:. This was probably a one-of-a-kind error...my luck has not been all that great this week anyway :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Chris!

The packaging was...minimal. Normal sized cardboard carton with air pillow packaging and the lens was in an original Olympus box (slightly the worse for wear) with a "Refurbished" sticker on it. The lens itself was rolled up in bubble wrap and tossed in the box with the "manual" laying loose and being bent. Not the sort of thing one finds when buying "new" products from Olympus.

Did I mention that they forgot a lens shade?

:biggrin:

(Just kidding! They did include what appears to be new front and rear caps, tho :thumbup:).

Regards,

Jim

10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Why did you not take a picture of the lens as it came in? One needs to complain to Olympus, so they can make adjustments (aka fire his/her a$$) :biggrin::happy-084:

11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'd really hate to think that someone would get fired over such an incident (of course I doubt that anyone in lower management would care that much, it's just a blip on the radar screen in the overall scheme of things).

I'm too much of a mensch :biggrin:.

I little bit of Goo Gone and a bit of a rant saw everything straight (although I may send Olympus a note just to let 'em know). The Goo Gone made the lens look better and ranting here made me feel better :2thumbs:. I can't rant to the Princess of the Exchequer because her reply is always "Then don't buy any more toys!" :eek:.

If there are any optical/mechanical issues there's a 100% chance of contacting Olympus (there's a 10 day "send it back" option on the lens) - but I'd rather avoid the hassle of shipping for minor, repairable cosmetic faults.

I was just surprised more than anything in the condition of the lens. However, like me, it cleaned up real nice :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

(And, oddly enough - I didn't even think to make a photo of the lens until you mentioned it. That's pretty funny :biggrin:.)

12. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I also just bought a refurb 75-300 from Olympus ($375 plus tax and $5 shipping).
    The packaging was pretty bad. The lens was in a bubble envelope inside the blue Oly box, which in turn was inside a card board shipping box with one air pocket bag.
    Everything was free to flp around during shipping.
    The lens itself was clean, without any marks or scratches. The lens barrel seems pretty loose, with a good mm of lateral movement when extended. I don't know how much this will affect the images...
    From a few quick tests, this lens definitely needs good support when shooting even with 5 axis IBIS doing its thing.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  13. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I never understood the point of a "refurb" why not buy a good used one from a forum member instead? Some sell their stuff that even still has a few months warranty left incl my own gear I sell sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Zulfur!

As far as I am aware no forum members had placed an Olympus 75-300 Mk I in the 'for sale' forum. When buying used one must buy when the merchandise is available; a circumstance which may dictate from whom the merchandise is purchased.

(Grandpa would've said "You gotta strike while the iron is hot!", although since Grandma did all of the ironing, how would he have known? :biggrin:).

I've had good experiences with buying refurbished gear (the present purchase excepted). Generally refurbished gear comes with a warranty and a right-to-return as well. In this example things have not turned out as well as one might have hoped - the lens may have been optically examined before shipment but it's obvious that it was not cleaned.

I am no fan of E-Bay these days, nor does Craig's list find favor with me. I prefer to deal with known companies with a known track record.

Of course, that's just me - others mileage may vary considerably :thumbup:.

Regards,

Jim

15. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    I hope that your 75-30mm lens works out

Jim,

I hope that your 75-30mm lens works out. I tried a sample of the Panasonic 100-300mm lens and sent it back because the Olympus lens was sharper.

Your Grandpa would have been more apt to have been the one "striking the iron." :wink:

"(Grandpa would've said "You gotta strike while the iron is hot!", although since Grandma did all of the ironing, how would he have known? :biggrin:)."

You most likely knew this, but some of the readers from other parts of the world might not be familiar with the expression.

Joe

Strike while the iron is hot - http://http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/strike-while-the-iron-is-hot.html

Meaning -
    Act decisively and take your opportunities when they arise.

Origin -This old proverb clearly alludes to the imagery of the blacksmith or farrier at his forge.
    If he delays in shaping the iron when it is hot a pliable the metal soon cools and hardens and the opportunity is lost.

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Joe!

I've sent a request to Olympus for an RMA (return merchandise authorization) although I've not heard anything back yet. The lens is a bit softer at the long end than I would like (even backing it off 10% doesn't help much). According to the purchase agreement I have a 30 day window of return (although I have to eat the shipping charges) and I'm hoping that it will go smoothly. I've not returned anything to Olympus before (it's an extremely rare occasion when I return anything at all). I may have to wait for the rumored 300mm f/4 and pony up the bigger bucks. (Thanks for the opinion on the Panasonic alternative!).

Or I could quit going to the zoo :biggrin:

Yep. Although Grandma was a pretty hefty ole gal, come to think of it. :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim