Refurbed 14-150 Not Focusing Accurately

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    I just received a refurbed Olympus 14-150 lens from Cameta Camera. It appears to be focusing a few inches past the point I intend to focus on with my OM-D.

Does the OM-D have a fine-tune focus adjustment similar to that offered on the latest Canon and Nikon models, or will I need to send it back to Cameta?
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I don't think the OM-D is capable of doing that.....Jonathan F/2 can verify for sure...(He's got a D4 & D800 along with the OM-D)
  3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it does. The focusing system in the OMD is contrast based (IIRC) and not like DSLRs. It would seem to me that the lens motor may not be stopping where it should.

What happens if you focus on something far away, then shift to something closer and try to focus again?
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd send it back since it sounds like the lens is malfunctioning.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    In a cdaf system there aren't the same calibration errors that can occur with pdaf, where focus is determined independently of the sensor, so you won't find the same focus micro-adjustment feature.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Have you tested with the small focus box as well?

There are no AF adjustment options on the E-M5 (or indeed on any camera when it comes to focusing by CDAF).