1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Refurb vs New: $50 Difference

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dermaus, Jun 10, 2013.

1. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Waiting on a refurb body-only E-PL5 from Cameta to arrive via snail mail, but with Father's Day deals out now, it looks like I can get a brand new one for only $50 more.

Does anyone know if, when selling used gear down the road, a camera bought brand new now would make up this difference between the two?

Other than possible resale value, I don't typically have reservations buying a refurb from a reputable source like Cameta, but if there's something else I should look out for, let me know. Appreciate any responses.

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My impression is that electronics have a higher resale value if the original box and accessories are intact. On the other hand, cameras (especially non-flagship models) generally lose value rather quickly. With that said, if this were a lens you intended to sell later on, go for the new copy. But in this case, save the 50usd and get the refurb. My 0.02usd.

3. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Thanks for the response, Mikey. That makes sense regarding resale value. Considering I have a Gordy's strap and LCD screen protector on their way, as well, I think I've made some good use of part of that $50 anyway!

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My Olympus refurb came in a black box marked as a refurbed product, straight from Olympus. I'm guessing that selling it in a box like that could reduce its resale value, but I really wouldn't even think about it as I don't buy any equipment with the plan of reselling it. All my gear is for my own use.

For only $50 more though, I would definitely jump on the new. Especially if it's in a local retail store that you can walk out of with your product. I would easily pay the extra just to avoid the shipping wait. But of course, that's because I live in Canada and not the US. ;) Huge difference in shipping times and reliability on this side of the 49th parallel.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Only real issue I could see with the refurb is the shutter count. Is it worth $50 for it to be ~0 for you?

6. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    I won't be able to check shutter count until it comes, but I suppose the extra cost of the new body would be worth it at some number.

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    "Most bodies outlive their shutter life expectancy nowadays anyways so why bother with shutter counts?" -- This is what a photographer friend told me.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Wouldn't that be the other way around? If your body outlives your shutter life, then that's when you need to worry about shutter count.

I will agree that with cheaply built consumer-grade bodies the shutter life is really not a big issue. With pro-grade bodies built like tanks, it is... even with the 150k+ actuation standard found in pro-grade bodies.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I tend to give my older micro four-thirds cameras to my nieces. They upgrade when I upgrade - just one generation behind me. So new or refurb makes no difference to me in terms of resale value. But $50 isn't enough for me to go refurb over new. Especially when sales pop up often enough.

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I do see your point with the flagship models, which in general, are the ones built like tanks. But how I understood him was that because technology is ever-changing, you'll more than likely replace your camera before it completely dies on you.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    For 50 bucks, I'd get the new one.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, I understand now! He's talking about the product lifecycle of the model, not the build of the actual body.

I do agree with that to some degree... I myself have switched to buying more consumer-grade bodies and replacing them more frequently rather than investing in expensive pro-grade bodies and keeping them for many years. By doing this, I enjoy the advantage of newer technology with every replacement.

For me it works out the same, as my bodies will physically wear out in the time that new upgrades become available. That's under rigorous daily use as a full time working photographer.

However, I also think that people are foolish if they think they can't keep a camera for years and years and have to upgrade just because of new technology! It's different if your camera or shutter physically wears out, but new technology is not that important to the creation of high-quality photographs when you use proper lighting and glass. Plus if anything, technology is now moving MUCH SLOWER than during the "building block" days of old. There is very little change between models these days. What has increased is not technology but the consumer's perceived need to "keep up with the Joneses". That is a false need fueled by too much influence of marketing. The marketplace is drunk on marketing. :)

13. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I got the EM5 refurbed from Cameta. But that saved me more than $200 at the time. For $50, go new.

14. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd say for $50 go for new-not sure about other sellers policies but in the case of Olympus direct only offers 90 day repair warranty on refurbs as opposed to 1 yr for new.

15. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    True, Olympus offers 90 days, but Cameta extends the full warranty to a year and also offers a 4-year extended warranty on top of that for less than the cost of Olympus's extended warranty (and longer: 4 years vs 3).

The camera makes it here on Thursday and, either way, I can't wait!

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm with Ned, for $50 I go new. I would think there is a dif in warranty duration between new and used. There is something special in new over used.

Gary

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I agree with Gary (and the others above), but here's a potential counter-argument in favor of the refurb. Every camera has some risk of developing a problem. The refurb, in theory, eliminates that risk, because it's already had its glitch identified and fixed to factory standards - in effect, it has gotten (in theory) a 100% checkout. That's the theory, anyway. :wink:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Personally, I trust used as a better filter for manufacturer defects than refurb. My refurbed Mini for instance, came with the same "forget date/time" problem that many new Minis are plagued with. At least if it's a nearly new but used product, you know it should have been returned under warranty if there was a serious defect. The refurbs seem to have as much likelyhood as an untested new product of showing the same defects. After all, I'm sure the new products have also gone through the same rigorous testing coming off the line as the refurbs see going through the second time.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'll bet not every single new camera is tested when it comes off the line - at least not extensively. But I'll bet a refurb is examined closely. That said, I still generally prefer buying new unless the price difference is very pronounced.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another thing to consider is how ridiculous some of the "reasons" are for returning products in retail stores. Like I was talking with a guy who works in an electronics store the other day, about how he got a huge discount on a returned PS3 (it didn't even go to refurb - they were sold cheap to staff right out of the return bin) which was returned because it "got hot after 15 hours of continuous use". lol. Why wouldn't it get hot after 15 hours of continuous use? These are the products which are getting returned, tested, then resold as refurbed after being tested as okay. ;)