1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Refurb E-PL2 Doesn't Work with VF-2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Yesterday I received a refurbished Olympus Pen E-PL2 camera body from Cameta Camera.

It appeared to be in good condition and seemed to work properly until I mounted my VF-2 electronic viewfinder. I have used this viewfinder for about two years with an E-PL1 body with no problems whatsoever, but on the E-PL2 the VF-2 gave me a yellow-green screen with details very dim. Later, it gave me a screen that was still yellow-green with more details visible, but with horizontal static lines running across the screen.

The VF-2 continues to work properly on my E-PL1. Any thoughts? I have notified Cameta about the problem.

2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    You may need to update your firmware. That's all I've got.

P.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Paul's thought is good, but I don't believe there was ever a firmware update required for the VF-2. If I recall a firmware update WAS necessary for the VF-3 to function on certain PENs. That said, it's cheap and easy to check the firmware and update if necessary. I think the latest version for the E-PL2 is something like 1.3.

If you're firmware is up to date and it still doesn't work, then I would contact Cameta about an exchange.

4. Dave Jenkins

I hooked it up to Oly Updater and it already has the latest firmware installed -- Version 1.3.

5. Dave Jenkins

I have contacted Cameta via e-mail, but haven't heard back from them yet.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    The E-PL2 firmware changelog on the Olympus web sight states:
    "Ver.1.2 (Aug. 9 2011) Supported VF-3 electronic view finder."

I also bought a refurb factory demo E-PL2 from Cameta (only 340 clicks on the shutter upon delivery) but paired it with a VF-3 for this reason and the cost difference.

I've dealt with Cameta's customer service several times in the recent month, and they have been very timely in processing my returns/exchanges. Email responses may not be immediate, but they will get back to you. Wish I could say the same for another large online camera chain that I am currently dealing with (really, really slow email response time and refund processing).

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sounds like a bad connector on the refurbished E-PL2. They probably never even checked to see if it was okay during the refurb process.

8. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    I own an E-P2 with an Electronic view finder VF-2. I am thinking of buying an E-PL5. Does anyone know if the VF-2 can be used with the E-PL5?

9. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Yes it can.

10. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    Thanks BLT

11. Dave Jenkins

I sent the E-PL2 back to Cameta and they promptly refunded my money. I then bought a new G3 body from B&H for $219.95 on a WPPI show special offer that apparently only went to professionals. So far, I like the G3 very much.

I could have purchased a new E-PL2 from Cameta for $199.95, but then it would have cost another $250 or so for another VF-2. The G3 already has its viewfinder built in, plus it has a 16mp sensor, so it seemed a no-brainer to me.