1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Refurb E-PL2 Doesn't Work with VF-2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Yesterday I received a refurbished Olympus Pen E-PL2 camera body from Cameta Camera.

It appeared to be in good condition and seemed to work properly until I mounted my VF-2 electronic viewfinder. I have used this viewfinder for about two years with an E-PL1 body with no problems whatsoever, but on the E-PL2 the VF-2 gave me a yellow-green screen with details very dim. Later, it gave me a screen that was still yellow-green with more details visible, but with horizontal static lines running across the screen.

The VF-2 continues to work properly on my E-PL1. Any thoughts? I have notified Cameta about the problem.

2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    You may need to update your firmware. That's all I've got.

P.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Paul's thought is good, but I don't believe there was ever a firmware update required for the VF-2. If I recall a firmware update WAS necessary for the VF-3 to function on certain PENs. That said, it's cheap and easy to check the firmware and update if necessary. I think the latest version for the E-PL2 is something like 1.3.

If you're firmware is up to date and it still doesn't work, then I would contact Cameta about an exchange.

4. Dave Jenkins

I hooked it up to Oly Updater and it already has the latest firmware installed -- Version 1.3.

5. Dave Jenkins

I have contacted Cameta via e-mail, but haven't heard back from them yet.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    The E-PL2 firmware changelog on the Olympus web sight states:
    "Ver.1.2 (Aug. 9 2011) Supported VF-3 electronic view finder."

I also bought a refurb factory demo E-PL2 from Cameta (only 340 clicks on the shutter upon delivery) but paired it with a VF-3 for this reason and the cost difference.

I've dealt with Cameta's customer service several times in the recent month, and they have been very timely in processing my returns/exchanges. Email responses may not be immediate, but they will get back to you. Wish I could say the same for another large online camera chain that I am currently dealing with (really, really slow email response time and refund processing).

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sounds like a bad connector on the refurbished E-PL2. They probably never even checked to see if it was okay during the refurb process.

8. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    I own an E-P2 with an Electronic view finder VF-2. I am thinking of buying an E-PL5. Does anyone know if the VF-2 can be used with the E-PL5?

9. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Yes it can.

10. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    Thanks BLT

11. Dave Jenkins

I sent the E-PL2 back to Cameta and they promptly refunded my money. I then bought a new G3 body from B&H for $219.95 on a WPPI show special offer that apparently only went to professionals. So far, I like the G3 very much.

I could have purchased a new E-PL2 from Cameta for $199.95, but then it would have cost another $250 or so for another VF-2. The G3 already has its viewfinder built in, plus it has a 16mp sensor, so it seemed a no-brainer to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.