1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Refugee from Pentax to Oly!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by astron, Aug 12, 2015.

1. astron

astron Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while as I plan my system switch. I've almost sold all my Pentax gear and my new OM-D E-M5 Elite is on its way as I write this. I've been with Pentax for almost 3 years and even though the system is very rewarding and quirky, it's also heavy. With their FF camera supposedly on the way, I realized I was disinterested in going to a bigger format on digital, with larger and more expensive lenses. I decided to downsize!

I'm no newbie to Micro Four Thirds, having shot with just about every camera that has come out in the past few years along with many of the lenses (yes, even the Nocticron!). I know the system quite well for someone who's never owned a body or a lens. I'm starting off with an original E-M5, which, even though it's not the best, has weathersealing and full 5-axis IBIS, along with the truly excellent available accessory battery grip. It's the little things...like a flip-up screen that really make the difference with these smaller cameras. As much as I like a good optical finder, having good live view and a flip screen is just so great.

I've already ordered the O25, which I fell in love with a long time ago. I'm hoping to pick up the 12-40 f/2.8 either new or used, and maybe one other prime. It all depends on how much more money I'm able to get from my remaining Pentax gear. Anybody need a like-new DA* 16-50 f/2.8? Ha!

Now, let's see if I remember how to turn the SCP on...

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You have lots of company on this forum regarded this brand switch. One note about the EM5 Elite: some of these had trouble with a lug coming off:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/70783/page-2

They may have fixed this but just be aware.

3. astron

astron Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015
    Thanks for the heads-up! I saw this thread but I also have a friend who's owned his (non Elite) OM-D since 2012 and he's had no problems. Hopefully this only affects a handful of Elite models and not the whole run. We'll see once it arrives!