Refocus during recording

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thomahawk, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    Hello Olympus users!
    I am using my E-PL5 Pen for photos and videos. I never was very fond of its video compression – any smartphone does that better. Recently I tried the E-PL7, which has a much better compression and I would have bought it if there wasn't one important thing wrong with its video recording: It is not possible to refocus specifically during video recording. There is C-AF of course which refocuses automatically, but that is useless because its constantly refocusing on any movement.

I have always used S-AF and refocused during recording when needed by slight touch of the shutter button.

Now the question is for you OM-D owners: If I would consider switching to an OM-D, which ones would provide decent video compression AND S-AF refocus during shooting?

Thanks
    Thom

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know the EM1 does this. I used it last year to do some pull focus stuff. I touched the back screen to where I wanted to focus, and it smoothly went to that point. I've not tried it on the EM5 Mk II, so not 100% sure it does this. Would be surprised if it did not.

3. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    Thanks gryphon. Yeah thats just the thing: Imagine how surprised I was that the newer E-Pl7 was not able to do that thing thats absolutely useful. So one never knows. Would love to hear from EM5 and other OM-D users.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just a note on the E-M1. If using 4/3rds lens via an adapter, you can not auto focus while recording. You can autofocus before you start, but once video recording starts no additional autofocus is allowed.

Probably a non issue for most people, but worth mentioning for anyone who might be considering video mode with legacy 4/3rds lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have an e-pL7 am I am really impressed by its smooth video and quick refocus (whatever lens is on it)
    I might try and see what S-AF options there are.
    Currently I use C-AF for video.