Refocus during recording

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thomahawk, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    Hello Olympus users!
    I am using my E-PL5 Pen for photos and videos. I never was very fond of its video compression ā€“ any smartphone does that better. Recently I tried the E-PL7, which has a much better compression and I would have bought it if there wasn't one important thing wrong with its video recording: It is not possible to refocus specifically during video recording. There is C-AF of course which refocuses automatically, but that is useless because its constantly refocusing on any movement.

I have always used S-AF and refocused during recording when needed by slight touch of the shutter button.

Now the question is for you OM-D owners: If I would consider switching to an OM-D, which ones would provide decent video compression AND S-AF refocus during shooting?

Thanks
    Thom

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know the EM1 does this. I used it last year to do some pull focus stuff. I touched the back screen to where I wanted to focus, and it smoothly went to that point. I've not tried it on the EM5 Mk II, so not 100% sure it does this. Would be surprised if it did not.

3. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    Thanks gryphon. Yeah thats just the thing: Imagine how surprised I was that the newer E-Pl7 was not able to do that thing thats absolutely useful. So one never knows. Would love to hear from EM5 and other OM-D users.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just a note on the E-M1. If using 4/3rds lens via an adapter, you can not auto focus while recording. You can autofocus before you start, but once video recording starts no additional autofocus is allowed.

Probably a non issue for most people, but worth mentioning for anyone who might be considering video mode with legacy 4/3rds lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have an e-pL7 am I am really impressed by its smooth video and quick refocus (whatever lens is on it)
    I might try and see what S-AF options there are.
    Currently I use C-AF for video.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.