Reflectors (Oval or Round)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shanguli, Dec 20, 2014.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    am thinking of getting one of those 5 in 1 reflectors, but which is overall better choice (the Oval/Rectangular OR the Round/Circular type)? & WHY!
    thanks!

2. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oval, because few of my subjects are round.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Are your subjects long/narrow like people or rectangular (like four-legged animals). The only reason for an oval reflector is to cast more reflection (or shade) in an elongated pattern. I have the 5-in-1 round and have never needed an oval reflector; however, anyone specializing in full-length portraiture or fashion photography Mac find the oval reflector useful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Thanks for getting back to me guys
    I do want to use to shoot people, portraiture, group...
    but how come I see most of photographers out there shooting ppl, use round, at least that's what seems to be the case?

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    For close-ups, round makes sense, and even groups of 2-3. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much - in the end you may even want two sets, or maybe you find you get enough from either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I've seen 8 foot reflectors and even know a guy who bought two 8 foot umbrellas to light his large church choir. I guess if you get that big, shape isn't important. If your reflectors are large enough, they can be morphed into any shape to both highlight and shade simultaneously.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.