1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reflectors (Oval or Round)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shanguli, Dec 20, 2014.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    am thinking of getting one of those 5 in 1 reflectors, but which is overall better choice (the Oval/Rectangular OR the Round/Circular type)? & WHY!
    thanks!

2. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oval, because few of my subjects are round.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Are your subjects long/narrow like people or rectangular (like four-legged animals). The only reason for an oval reflector is to cast more reflection (or shade) in an elongated pattern. I have the 5-in-1 round and have never needed an oval reflector; however, anyone specializing in full-length portraiture or fashion photography Mac find the oval reflector useful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Thanks for getting back to me guys
    I do want to use to shoot people, portraiture, group...
    but how come I see most of photographers out there shooting ppl, use round, at least that's what seems to be the case?

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    For close-ups, round makes sense, and even groups of 2-3. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much - in the end you may even want two sets, or maybe you find you get enough from either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I've seen 8 foot reflectors and even know a guy who bought two 8 foot umbrellas to light his large church choir. I guess if you get that big, shape isn't important. If your reflectors are large enough, they can be morphed into any shape to both highlight and shade simultaneously.

• Like Like x 1