1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Reflected color or artifact caused by Oly?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dancebert, Jan 16, 2015.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Hey moderators, is there a better forum for this post?

I've seen reflected color in the real world but because this is the first time I've noticed it in one of my images I'm not 100% sure it's reflected color. Could it be an artifact of image capture and processing?

The chain is about an inch from the wall. For about 1 minute a day a narrow shaft of sunlight hits the chain on the side away from the camera. The wall receives less light because of a pipe running perpendicular to the chain. The colors on the side of the chain you can't see are the same as the side you can.

15672571163_22a034ca71_o. Green Chain by Four Letter Nerd, on Flickr

16290657711_b25bb4f866_o. x-20150115-05429-Low-800 by Four Letter Nerd, on Flickr

Processed in Lightroom for crop, resizing and default Develop mode sharpening with no sharpening added in Export.

Seems to me I didn't notice the reflected color while shooting because of 60 year old eyes and just trying to get exposure and framing right while the light lasted. I may have never noticed reflected color before because I've never had a lens this or a monitor as large or good as the new one.

Shot with an EM10 & O12-40 f2.8

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I'm sure it is real. Bright light shining on reflective geen paint could eaily give a green glow a few inches away onto a wall in shadow.

When doing green screen work it is only too easy to get a green glow on the subject in front.

If you don't want that green in the background it could very easily be removed...
    - create a mask so you are only working on the background.
    - desaturate everything that has a green hue.

3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks for verifying and the editing tip.