1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reducing wind noise on the E-P1

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Brianetta, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I have baffled the microphones on my E-P1. Cheap, cheerful and effective!

First, I got a packet of skid pads from Wilkinson, a general hardware chain store in the UK:

I took one of the pads, cut it into two, and used a scalpel to cut a hole in the patch of glue on the reverse of the pad halves. I stuck these over the microphone recesses on the camera:

Then, I tested. This (rather badly edited) video shows me blowing on both microphones in turn, before and after applying the baffles:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOqE_lA32w]Baffles video at YouTube![/ame]

Here are two videos showing the effectiveness of these baffles in the real world. There's a breeze blowing as I'm filming, and any E-P1 owner will know that it doesn't take much of a breeze to make such a noise that the gain takes a nose-dive, such that all you can hear is wind noise.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQF8CpvsEs]Out of the east window of an office block[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOfC-eS39A]Out of the west window of an office block[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  2. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Fantastic idea.
    I suppose you could even keep the silicone paper for the adhesive backing and put them back on to store the baffles in your bag.

Thanks for taking the time to test this and post it up. I'm definately trying this for myself.

3. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Alas, no silicone paper; they come on a sheet of transparent... um, acetate, perhaps.

4. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    Wow...great idea!

I was worried about wind for my upcoming cruise and I'll just "turn off" the mic altogether, but now with your help...looks like I can have the best of both!

I have watched so many youtube videos of cruisers and the wind noise is just overpowering.

Thanks for sharing!

5. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    pads

Could you re-link the pictures that do not show at the moment so we can see what you did?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Please post still photos of your mufflers, thanks.

7. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    In case it is a while before pics are uploaded.....the skid pads he mentioned, are the little felt (circular) stick on pads (glides) that you would place under a chair leg to protect your nice wood floors!

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I had a change in financial circumstances. Those photos were hosted on my server, which I can no longer afford. Re-uploading my photos to some third party solution is going to take time and organisation. Finding all the forum posts where I've linked the things, even more.

I'll try to see what I can do. I'm glad I bought the camera when I did; there's no way I'd be able to justify it now. )-:

9. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    @brianetta.... Hope things will take a positive turn soon. (everyone seems to be cutting out the fluff) Again, thanks for the awesome tip.

10. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Thanks, and it's my pleasure. Google Picasa to the rescue.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks for the pics Brian, now I know exactly what you're talking about.

On a related note : If I'm using S-AF on video how to I re-focus?

12. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I use the exposure lock button, which is set to focus. That works in manual or single mode. If you need that button for something else, I'm not entirely sure that you can.