Redrock Micro Announces LiveLens MFT Active Lens Mount - Adapter for Canon EF Lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    3-090-0001_3_lg.
    Redrock Micro has developed an active mount adapter for full control of Canon EOS (EF) lenses on Micro 4/3 cameras. At a price of $443, this is a costly adapter geared towards serious videographers.

Manufacturer description:
    Learn more at Cinescopophilia via 1001 Noisy Cameras

Available for purchase at the Redrock Micro Store

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Saweet! :D I'm glad somebody made this. Not that I'll be buying it as I don't have EF lenses, but I have friends who should be interested.

This one isn't the first though, is it? I thought there were two other EOS adapters with aperture control, like one from Birger for about the same price, one from Bower for about $175, and one from Kipon selling on eBay? None of these have the power adapter though... how well do they work without the extra power?

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Kipon and Bower are manual and have a aperture built into it so no direct lens controls. Bower ABAM43EOS Micro 4/3 Camera to Canon EOS Lens ABAM43EOS B&H

The Berger unit does provide full control/power via a wired remote and is also geared towards videographers.

Still waiting for something like the 4/3 to m4/3 adapters. One day. But would Ned pay $400 for them? If they provide AF and enable existing lens VR?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I see now! Thanks for the breakdown. :thumbup:

If my pro lens collection was in EOS EF glass, I would definitely pay the $400. $400 to use thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in glass on the new compact bodies, the same way they were made to work on their native system... that would be a very sound investment.

I'm lucky though, that my pro lenses were already in Four-Thirds mount. :) The $200 adapter works fine for me... suckers! :rofl:

I'm gonna run this by my former colleague who has his good glass in Canon L for EF, and now also owns an E-PL1. Let's see what he thinks... ;)

5. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

What about shutter speed?

I haven't used any other than micro 4/3 lenses on my E-PL1.

Isabel

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    For the price, thet might've as well put SLT into it to allow phase detect AF w/Canon lenses.

7. Brilliant! Fantastic!

Having said that, I still see no point in using EF/EFS lenses on Micro 4/3 cameras.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It all depends on what kind of glass you have. If you have EF glass, you no doubt have a big hunker of a body to use it with. If I were holding onto a collection of good L glass, I'd want to be able to use it on my Micro Four-Thirds body. That's the whole point of having interchangeable lenses, or I may as well just get a fixed-lens compact!

I came from an E-System background, so my good glass was in Four-Thirds Zuiko. There's no better investment I could have made than an adapter for my Four-Thirds glass. For a Canon user, I'm sure the same would apply.

9. Why spend big money on modern, all-electronic lenses designed for use on a modern camera system, and then turn around and use them on a camera where the AF and IS is disabled? If you have existing Canon lenses, you gain nothing and lose a lot by selling your EOS body and mounting the lenses on a m4/3 camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    think the target market for this isn't us...its for the guys who have AS100's or maybe gh1/2's

this is an adaptor aimed for the video guys

K

• Like Like x 2
  11. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Since it provides power...anychance would the IS work then?

12. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    London
    I'm a bit in two minds about this. As someone who has several Canon 'L' lenses it would be great to be able to use them on my E-P1 and E-PL3 just because of the sheer quality of the glass (especially the 16-35L which would make a killer "standard" zoom on m4/3....)

However..... a) that would totally negate the size advantage of the smaller format (for example the 100-400L is a big lens even on a Canon DSLR body, it would be just ridiculous on my E-PL3!) and b) as luckypenguin says to be honest with having to use that strange control pad thing to change aperture I might as well just put them on my 40D and shoulder the extra weight anyway....

What I REALLY want is a native m4/3 lens that's optically equivalent to my Canon Ls (some are very good but I've not seen anything yet to match the top-end Canon "sports" lenses, especially the fast telephoto zooms and primes) but in the sort of size and weight I've grown used to on m4/3....! :biggrin:

13. Before I bought my PEN a month and a half ago, all my equipment was Canon. It's not really about getting rid of my DSLR; it's about increasing functionality throughout my camera bag. With an adapter, my PEN becomes part of a system rather than a stand alone camera. Besides, IS is built in to the body (unlike my Canon) so I don't believe I would lose that function though I haven't yet used an adapter. AF is nice, but I was shooting long before it became standard and for street shooting I use scale or zone focusing anyway.