Redrock Adapter for Canon Eos lenses?

aross007

New to Mu-43
New to the forum (although I have lurked for a while.) Santa is going to bring me an Olympus OMD-M1, and I am looking for options to continue taking bird pictures. My current rig is Canon EOS, including several L lenses. I am aware that the olympus will not control the aperture on the EOS lenses through a mechanical adapter, although I bought one, just to see how well they will work wide open. Surfing around the net, I came across the Kipon adapter, which includes an adjustable aperture in the adapter. Unfortunately, the aperture is in the wrong place, and I saw several negative comments. I then ran accross this: http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft It appears to be an adapter with a built-in controller for the aperature.

Is there anyone out there who has tried this or seen a review? At $600 it is not cheap, but I already have the lenses....................... Or do I spend that money on something like a Canon FD 300 or 400 ???

Anyway, thanks for your opinions and advice,

Alan

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
I think you'll find that there's not much difference in optical quality between your L glass and some of the reasonably priced FD super-telephotos. This is especially the case if you're comfortable correcting CA's. I use a FD 200mm f4 (macro) and FD 400mm f4.5 and both are very good, especially for around $300 a piece.

aross007

New to Mu-43
Thanks to the two of you - you've pretty well summarized the discussion in my head. Anyone out there who shoots with EOS lenses wide open care to offer an opinion on how much you would pay to get aperture control, or should I try to sell the EOS lenses (400 L 5.6, 70-210L 4, 24-105L, 17-40L) and buy?????

Thanks again,
Alan

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
You could try the metabones adaptors I think they have an active one but you will get poor af performance. If you do a lot of birding you'll need to consider how well the e-m1 works for you. You have some good options available to you in the shg 4/3 lenses but I would wait before selling your old glass.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Honestly, much as I loved my 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 (had the 2.8 IS) I don't see much appeal mounting them on a MFT body, really. Not without AF. They're not that much fun to focus manually. I'd go with a 43 native option. Selling the lot off would go a long way towards a e-m1/12-40/ 43 55-200 setup.

Latest threads

Top Bottom