1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Red spot issue with E-pl2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 11, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I went out to buy an e-pl2 today, two stores did not have it in black and the third one had an issue with flipped pixels on the image and the salesman did not know if there was a pixel mapping setting within the menu. I decided to go home do some research about dead pixels and mapping before pulling the trigger on the camera which is how i came to find out about the red spot issue.

I've looked up a few threads and I'll be looking up some more but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone on here knows if the red dots only appear in photo's when the sun and strong lighting sources are pointed directly at the camera? what about other sources of light within the image? I live in Hong Kong I like street photography and shots around the city at night with lots of lights from cars, street lamps and buildings so I need to know if this will be an issue for anything other than pictures with the sun in the background.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My understanding is it appears when a strong light source is directly at the sensor. I had an EPL2 for a number of months, and I shot a number of shots with the sun in the frame, and didn't experience it at all, so I don't know if they corrected the issue with later serial numbers or something.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Mine has it big time. If I take a picture of a sunset, it's there. Opening up the aperature helps.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Mine too, it's especially bad with Rokinon 7.5 at any aperture

5. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Can you guys comment on how it affects night shots with lots of light? If they are noticeable in low light indoor shots with strong light sources within the frame, that sort of thing?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Never experienced it. Ever.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

Mine shows up when there are lots of lights..

Same here! :frown:

Example - look at the mid-upper right, and you can see red dots...

6641659493_bd7d86fecb_z.
    The Palazzo by Taz Spin, on Flickr

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've experienced it with my E-PL2....:frown:
    On the bright side though, looks like Olympus did fix the issue in the E-PL3 :smile:

9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I've seen this issue in about 5 of 3000 images that I've taken. I have a great example but not with me. I was shooting in the park at night. In the background was a bright street light. There was a trail of red dots from the street light. Didn't ruin the shot though.

10. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input. Based on what I've seen, I'm probably going to give it a pass since many of my preferred shots are in the dark with lots of light just like taz98's included pic and dcassat's example.

Now I guess I'll have to go for the e-pl3 with it's smaller effective image shown on the viewfinder. Do you guys happen to know for sure that the problem isn't present in the e-pl3? I'd hate to choose this camera over the e-pl2 for that reason and find out that it also suffers from the same thing.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, no... the view on the viewfinder is the same for both cameras. It's the view on the LCD which is effectively smaller on the E-PL3 (though larger for video) because both have 3" 460k dot screens but the E-PL3 is widescreen format (16:9) instead of 4:3. The viewfinder remains the same 4:3 aspect, at 1.44 million dots and 1.15x magnification for the VF-2 or 906k dots and 1.0x magnification for the VF-3.

12. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for the correction, I meant to say LCD... I'm still going back and forth over it, now leaning towards not getting it. I can't get over how stupid an idea it was for them to put a widescreen on a camera meant for taking stills.